on 14 December 2009
You can't beat these stories if you're looking to entertain the kids or drift off to sleep stresslessly yourself. The actors are very sweet and the stories, though shortened, by no means spoilt. The attempts oby the narrator to act the part of Timmy the dog are also jolly amusing...
on 14 August 2009
another great story about the famous five , which all our family enjoyed on a long car journey through france (14 and 10 year old girls plus mum and dad)
on 18 July 2014
We have a number of these CDs and the kids love them. However, despite being by the same publisher this cd has different voices which are annoyingly over-theatrical (even for the Famous Five) and not in keeping with the other CDS. Also they have someone barking like a dog in it! Shame as the other stories are great.

THE BEST FOR A FIRST READ!

Enid’s Famous Five books featuring Julian, Dick, George and Anne and Timmy the dog, were the catalyst which encouraged me to start reading more than 50 years ago. Thank you, Enid. The BBC, many libraries, local authorities and alleged educational experts have been completely wrong about the worth of the Blyton works. I can remember having substantial difficulty obtaining the original books as so many places would not stock them. The stories are great to read for their simplicity and straightforwardness.

When one did find copies of the book they were quite expensive all those years ago but great to own. I loved the letter on the back cover from Enid and the physical appearance of the book which I treasured as a youngster with the way the books were produced then which made them somehow much easier to read.

It’s a delight to read the stories again in middle age although recent editing has diminished some of the memories I have of the original editions and words used then (but I am now getting old).

Never mind… these books remain one of my best friends for life: they began my own reading adventure so do read these special adventures for yourselves.
on 5 January 2010
Great for car journeys with children. Fairly close to the book. Not sure how easy it would be for younger children to follow if they haven't read the book before listening.
on 24 October 2013
My daughter and I listen to all the famous five CDs in the evening to relax before bedtime!

All are super stories, buy them all!
on 8 April 2013
use for older children, as the story is more descriptive, then character narrative, great stories which attract todays audience. great for bedtime and independently settling down time.

on 4 November 2015