on 29 January 2016
Bought this for my mum, she isn't super tech savvy so glad this is so easy to use, apart from having to do a little set up on the app the tracking takes care of its self, no buttons or complex things to press on the device itself! And it has a face on it to show how your doing!
review image
on 6 December 2013
This is a brilliant little gadget that has made me aware of how much and how little I move in a day. Plus the technical support is great and they send you an email each week giving you an overview of how many steps you did. Its very small and convenient.
on 23 January 2016
Got this at a great price and it's brilliant. The cheapest FitBit in the range but does exactly what I need it to. Counts steps, calories burnt and allows me to enter challenges with my friends. Simple but effective.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 November 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a long term user of an earlier Fitbit product, the Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, I was very keen to try out this new entry level version. I am not sorry that I did.

For those who do not know the Fitbit range of products are in essence small enhanced pedometers that automaticsally upload your exercise data to the Fitbit website where it can be added to other exercise and food consumption data you input. This is then all balamced together to give you daily statistics to help you reduce or maintain your weight.

The Fitbit Zip is very small and light and could be easily lost as could the various accesories supplied with it. However, the battery life - unlike other mnodels the battery is not rechareable - is very good and the battery used is easily obtainable. Unlike with other versions this budget model does not record or take into account steps climbed or nightly sleep patterns. Data is uploaded from the Fitbit to the free mobile phone app via the new Bluetooth 4 protocol which is not supported by older devices such as the iPhone 4.

The key to the success of the Fitbit lies in the Fitbit website which is offers an extremely comprehensive (although US slanted) way of monitoring your health through exercise and diet and allows for a wide range of other health metrics such as blood pressure, pulse rate etc to also be inputted and taken into account. You can also add 'friends' on the website with whom you can compete on daily or longer term targets The Fitbit can also directly upload data to similar websites such as Runkeeper or MyFitnessPal.

This is a bargain indeed and a great way to enter the Fitbit exercise and dieting world.

The Good
Inexpensive
Uses the new low power Bluetooth 4 protocol
Free iPhone and Android apps
Can also be used with a wide range of other exercise websites
3 month battery life
Bluetooth dongle supplied
Great motivator

The Bad
Fitbit, dongle and battery key are all small and easily lost
Non resuable batteries must be used
Older mobiles without Bluetooth 4 not supported
Unlike more costly models the Fitbit Zip does not monitor sleep or steps climbed
Limited functionality of the mobile phone apps
on 6 March 2015
So incredibly disapointed with this product. I am totally shocked as all the reviews I read were really good. It really is such a shame as the item itself looks amazing, it really is teeny tiny and has a lovely little rubber cover with a good sized clip for attaching to belts etc. BUT then I tried to use it. Oh dear, talk about how to take an item and totally over complicate it. It comes with no instructions at all, there are no buttons on the device so you have no way of controlling it on the actual device, no on off buttons, no reset. The only way you can control this device is via the fitbit website. Doesnt sound like too much of a problem right?? well what if you cant get internet access, what if their website goes down? what if they decide to just shut up shop, you then are left with an item that appears to be ultimately useless. The main problem I had was I was never able to link my device to the website, thus I was never able to use it. Can you call a customer services team and discuss this? no, cos the number they give you doesnt work. You can talk to them via live chat, when you can eventually get through (I tried lots and most of time was told no agent was available) I did manage to get through once and was asked if i had 'tried turning it off and on again', they then just went through all the points that are on their trouble shooting page anyway, and all the same things we had tried lots of times. They eventually told me I would need to return the item. It does not say anywhere in the item description that this item is so internet dependent. Whilst it is nice to be able to link gadgets up to the internet, most of the time you want them to be able to do the job they are intended for without the need for being linked up to a website. Especially if its something as basic as counting steps. However I could be wrong, but seeings as I never got any instructions, and I cant find any instructions, other than instructions telling you how to link up to the internet, which doesnt work anyway, I guess Ill never know. I can not describe how disapointed I am with this product and will not be recommending it to anyone. C'mon fitbit, seriously, does counting steps really need to be so complicated? and if it really does, can you please make sure it works properly.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2013
I really like the idea of a wireless enabled tracker however it doesn't work that well if you do anything other than walking. When on my motorbike it clocked up 100's of steps and also when driving. Have returned the item. FitBit should allow you to pause the tracker when you're not walking.
on 14 December 2014
Love this. I didn't want anything on my wrist so I chose the Zip. I decided to hang it around my neck rather than clip it to a pocket and it works perfectly. I wish the online instructions tell you to check your email after you've registered because I couldn't find the dashboard. It was only on looking at email that all became clear.
on 7 January 2016
Works well, and connects / updates easily via a smartphone and App. Good basic info provided. However, easily lost when it either pops out of the holder, or simply falls off. I've lost two now, so I'm not going to replace it again.
on 6 January 2016
Bought for my wife as a surprise Christmas present to replace an old mechanical step counter. She was delighted with it and was pleased that I got one with a display so that she can see how she is going during the day when out.

Very poor instructions enclosed but it synced easily to her iPad where all the knowledge needed can be found. Our daughter has a Fitbit and linked in on line so they can see what each other has done every day and have the completive element between them.

We bought a separate wrist band so that it can be worn like a watch. This is preferable to the clip supplied and overcomes the problems others have had with the device falling off and being lost. I'm surprised Fitbit don't supply or offer one as an accessory.

Others have said the Zip is small. That is a positive benefit. It would be large and ungainly on a female wrist if any larger, although some may prefer that.
on 16 November 2015
Purchased as a gift for my Mum, who works in a hospital and was intrigued by just how far she walked every day. Mmmmm - now I get daily updates, so beware! Very tiny and discreet....the Fitbit, not my Mother!