Customer reviews

on 8 June 2017
Being a first time mum I had no idea what to expect. This book explains thingsin a very easy to understand way and gives you an idea what to expect. Since lent it to two friends who also found it useful.
on 8 June 2017
Love this book, she is really honest and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
on 1 July 2017
Book is a good read so far and seems to be full of great tips. Quality of the book is shocking and won't last. It's flimsy and mine came damaged and dog eared. For the price I expected more.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a most useful and well thought out book, that would I suppose is important not only for first time Mums but also those Mothers going for their second child. There is lots of practical information, and the writing is done in modest and supportive tone. It does not preach at you but rather gives you a sense of understanding - it drives out those lingering uncertainties and gives the Mother to be the prospect of looking after her child that much less daunting.

This book gives confidence, but is also realistic in its outlook; there are no judgement calls, while the book initial deals with the baby the later part deals with the mother and such topics as postnatal depression, body image and overall the building up of confidence in the new mother. While bringing a child in to the world should be a joyful experience the reality is somewhat different with the mother undergoing a mixed bag of emotions both positive and negative, this book is designed to help but make no assumptions or judgements. Recommended.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have just finished reading this book and boy do I wish I had had this book eight months ago or even better whilst I was still pregnant. The book is jam packed with useful advice that we unfortunately have had to learn sometimes the hard way but more often than not by trial and error. A lot of the information in the book was now not really relevant to me as my son is eight months old but I did still manage to glean quite a few useful titbits and advice especially in regard to the going back to work section as that unfortunately will be my next step:(!

The book is split into three main sections as follows:
Part One: Starting Out
8. Your body after birth
9. Emotional well-being
10. Love and sex
11. Going back to work

The book is also suggestive and helpful rather than setting firm rules for everything which I thought made it a lot nicer to read and actually more helpful than the several I have read where they are "You must do this, you should be doing that". I personally believe that this book is more likely for your child's first six months rather than year as a lot of what you need to know and learn is probably done in the first six months, after this time you're a bit old hat at everything! I shall certainly be suggesting this book to a few of my friends when they are having their first children and the only negative I can really say about the book is that I didn't manage to read it earlier when I could have really used the advice!
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great introduction to a variety of subjects for first time mums-to-be. It manages to be informative, without being patronising or showering you with confusing details. I would have liked a little bit more information on breastfeeding though, but it does give a basic summary. The best thing about the book, and what definitely makes it a worthwhile read, is the shopping lists.... they do a good job of guiding you through what is an essential purchase, and what is not.......good advice if you are watching the pennies.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm shortly to be a first time Dad, and quickly gave upon books aimed at me, finding them patronising at best. (Publishers please note: not every man on the planet is exclusively interested in lager and football, and a fair few of us do know our way around at least a couple of everyday domestic appliances) But I digress: This is a very comprehensive, but never prescriptive, reference on what do expect and ways to cope with it, and as such is highly recommended. Very useful both for my wife and myself.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was happily surprised by this book, usually they tend to be somewhat condescending towards mothers and mothers-to-be, this book is definitely not.

It is split into 3 main parts:

1 - starting out
2 - your baby
3 - being mum

Each of these 3 areas is the subdivided:

- what to buy for your baby - looking at the essentials you will need pre birth and during birth
- the early weeks - looking at items you may want to consider

- basic babycare

- your body after birth
- emotional wellbeing
- love and sex
- going back to work

Each section gives you ideas for things that you might want to consider without being overly preachy, demanding or commandeering. Lets be honest there are far too many of these books which will tell you what to do and when to do it by, and then tell you that if you or your baby aren't at the "goal level" then there is something wrong with you or your baby. These books usually culminate in telling you that you are a bad mother. Please ignore them. This book avoids that.

There is no strict timetable for your child to be walking, talking, etc. Every child develops at its own rate, even identical twins, so don't panic if your child isn't speaking latin by 6 months old!

This is a book that is not just restricted to the new mum, but can also be used by the father of the child, aunts, uncles, godparents, etc, especially the sleeping, feeding sections, etc.

Our author, Hollie Smith, acknowledges all the way through the book that every woman's experience will be different, because every woman is different and so is every child - and that is so refreshing. I much prefer this approach to the one size-fits-all type help book.

I found that the best source of information for things like this is my family, but if you can't, or don't want to, ask them then I can recommend this book for your consideration.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
there is a lot of good information in this book.

As a first time mum I found this to be quite handy. I am not one for reading these type of books usually as I tend to do what feels more natural not what the books say you have to or should be doing. So all of these books should be read as a general guideline and not as gospel...which is how I have used it.

What I liked about this is that it isn't scary for first time mums, it gives general advice and various solutions etc but it does it all without making you feel like you are going to be a terrible mum if you do something different etc.

To be honest it just reassured me about what I am doing with my lil one and gave me a few lil pointers to try in the future when she gets older.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a great read for a first time mum. As a first time mum, friends, colleagues and family are often eager to share their own tales of when they were pregnant or when they had their children. Couple this with the advice you receive from health professionals or support networks and it leads to information overload. This book shares the opinions of many people and gives advice on the subject but also gives others point of view or advice on what to do, while avoiding the 'standard answer'.

It is a well written book, not too much jargon, and short and to the point. It is balanced in argument and gives common sense advice. The sections are well planned and easy to read.

The perfect gift for a friend or family member who has just found out they are pregnant.