Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2003
A great novel for readers of 8 and over, although younger ones may not get the jokes! This story is about Lila, who wants to be a firework maker. Her dad isn't keen because she's a girl (!), so she goes on a quest to achieve her ambition. On the way she meets some hilarious characters (parents will enjoy reading it for the eternally optomistic Rambashi alone) and takes part in exciting adventures. This novel is about working hard to achieve your dreams. My children found it funny and inspiring - they started to talk and think about their ambitions and laughed out loud at the jokes.
HALL OF FAMEon 12 January 2006
Lila longs to be a fire-work maker, but her father is appalled at the idea she might follow in his footsteps, so tells her she can only achieve her heart's desire if she sets off to ask the Fire fiend. Her best friend the elephant boy, riding on the white elephant Hamlet, follows hot on her heels because Lila doesn't know that to survive she needs water from the goddess of the lake... and even if they succeed, Lila's father may be executed by the furious emperor unless she wins the contest. Rich with comic incidents (especially the bandit turned chef)it is one of the very best books you could read aloud to a 5 year old or give to a 7 year old.
A wonderful tale about how you can only get your heart's desire - especially as an artist - if you dare much and work for it, this is even better because of Peter Bailey's new illustrations for it.
on 10 November 2001
The Firework Makers Daughter is a great story about a young girl with a big ambitition.Wanting to follow in her fathers footsteps by becoming a firework maker,leads her through an adventure through jungles and caves,till she meets the ultimate firework makers test.I love this book and thats because it is so imaginative and mysterious.In compaarison to say Enid Blytons books,this book matches her standard of writing if it is not better.An unforgetable story that's not to be missed.
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2004
I first read this book when I was about 8 and remembered it for a long time after, always wanting to read it again. On the off chance I tried Amazon to see if they had it, when I saw it I bought it immediately and I am glad I did.
Pullman is the master at creating a story which pulls you in and places you right in the action. You can not put this book down, and when you have finished you will want to read it again soon after. Sutiable for all ages this book will never get old and will live with you for a long time.
on 30 October 2012
Like the other reviewers, I presumed this was the book, not a script.
Amazon's product descriptions are generally very poor.
Please improve these, and publish the book instead of the script!
on 4 September 2004
The firework maker's daughter is easy to read from 8 years and up.
You will find it easy to get into and easy to finish you will be interested in the other books by Philip Pullman.
This is a short one off story, which is a good introduction to the author's work.
on 17 June 2012
I was very disappointed when I received the "book" that it was in fact a script for the play. It was not clear in the Product Description that this was a script for the play. I should have read the other review.
Amazon - Can you please source the book for Kindle?!
I can't comment on the content of the "book", so my rating of 2 is only related to the dissatisfaction in not having the actual book.
on 22 October 2012
i agree with the other reviewer. I too purchased this book only to find that it is not the book but the script for a stage play. it is very misleading, Amazon please could you amend the description to state that this is a script not the novel.
on 19 July 1999
I really enjoyed reading it and I say everybody must read it and no one must even miss a single page. I feel like reading it a thousand times. Also one day you will find out how fabulous this book is. You MUST NOT give up on this book. For this book I give 10/10.
on 11 April 2013
Nothing in the Amazon description refers to this being a script. Usually, I don't read the reviews if I am familiar with the book as is the case with the Firework Makers Daughter. I had been reading this to my youngest daughter and before going away on holiday, I downloaded onto my Kindle. Imagine how upset my little girl was when I told her that we would have to read something else! I'm sure that it is a fine and well written script, but it is not the book.