Customer reviews

Fireweed
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2017
Warning, the foreword to this novel contains a huge spoiler about the end so don't read it first!
It's hard to believe the author no longer appreciates the story she wrote, it is written with such enormous feeling and authenticity it was quite impossible not to be completely gripped.
One person found this helpful
on 29 February 2016
I first read this book at about age 9 and loved it. Some 30+ years I've read it again and still love it. The story is realistic and the characters loveable. Well worth RE-reading
on 21 April 2018
A well written book which would appeal to the young teenager whose reading tastes are hard to please and sometimes to fathom at all..
on 24 February 2014
A wonderful, heartwarming story, I grew up with this, and read it still quite often, have passed it on to many many people, a truly magnificent story
2 people found this helpful
on 25 October 2014
Beautifully written through the eyes of a child, also very touching.
on 17 October 2016
as described thanks
on 1 November 2013
Please don't be put off from reading this wonderful book by what might be written in the foreword; I think it's a gem. The story of two young people who find each other during the Blitz and set up home together, it's one of the most moving and intense books about first love I've ever read. Set against the backdrop of London in flames, where the most extraordinary things are happening every day, Bill and Julie try to make their way unnoticed by adults. The relationship between them is powerfully and subtly described, and I found the ending heartbreaking but completely convincing. Each time I read this story, it moves me profoundly in a way I still don't entirely understand. Highly recommended, and so glad it's available on Kindle. Every new generation should be able to discover this amazing writer.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2010
This was one of my favourite books when I was nine years old and I still love it now. I think my love for it stemmed from all the descriptions of Bill and Julie moving into the basement and turning it into their home, as well as my interest in the World Wars being ignited by my dad's collections of books and videos on the subject - here was one that I could read myself!
'Fireweed' is rather unusual for a children's book in that it has a rather sad ending. Yet it still seems to be enjoyed by many children, despite its sadness, making it more unique. I hope that this book will be republished someday, but for now I have my tatty ex-library copy to treasure!
4 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2018
In school we have read this book and now it is one of my favourite books that I have read. Fireweed is a heartwarming and has a sad ending. My favourite part was chapter eight, I like it because Bill would not give up on Julie after she had been burried. It is very understanding ans interesting to read. It is a realistic story about a girl and a boy trying to survive WW2, near the end of the story, they have to take care of a young boy called Dickie.
on 28 September 2007
A hauntingly realistic story of a pair of runaways alone in London and hiding from the authorities during the terrifying Blitz of 1940.
3 people found this helpful