on 19 January 2015
This is my first young adult dragon shifter book. I've read the first in an adult series but I didn't reckon much to it but this, this was right up my street.

I liked almost everything about it; the description of being a dragon, the characters--though I thought it was a little selfish of her mum and sister to want to do what they were doing to Jacinda, the romance and connection between Jacinda and Will...

That ending has definitely got me wanting to find out what happens next and considering the books are only 99p each currently I think I'm going to go buy them all!
on 13 March 2017
Fell in love with Jucinda straight away, the reckless teenage girl that reminds me of myself when i was that age. very different from the usual vampire or shifter book I've read, with the fact that she is a Draki, not quite sure what to make of Cassian, thought he was a little strange and couldn't quite grasp what exactly he want with Jucinda. Will is the boy every girl dreams of, that one person you cant help but day dream over. i look forward to reading more as i feel i have to keep reading to see how things turn out.
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2011
I've recently read a lot of contemporary books with difficult themes and was feeling a little wrung out emotionally by it. Desperately in need of some good fantasy, I picked up Firelight and instantly knew I'd found what I was looking for. It's imaginative, romantic, exciting, and has one extremely hot hero in Will...swoon! It completely hit the mark.

Immediately this book is gripping and fast paced. I was hooked right from the beginning, caught up in the beautiful descriptions and feelings as Jacinda flies at dawn, then plunged right into a heart stopping action scene and breathtaking romance. I liked Jacinda's spirit, she longs to be free yet wants to be loyal to her pride. When she is forced to flee to an environment that will kill her Draki, making her only human I felt her pain. The Draki's thrive off nature and the hot dessert and busy, noisy school is unnatural to her. Being a country girl at heart I felt this with her.

Firelight also gave me one of my top boy book crushes of all time with the lovely Will. I adored him. Dangerous and intense, he was everything I want in a hero. I love forbidden love, and seeing how Will's family are Draki hunters this is definitely one romance that shouldn't be happening, but all the more exciting. Although they are from very different backgrounds, there's something surprisingly similar about the two. Both have expectations forced on them from their families and struggle with them. The attraction between them is electric and had me swooning! I also liked the dynamics between Jacinda and her twin sister Tamra, who's Draki never manifested and has lived in her sister's shadow, until now. This made an interesting sub plot, as they struggled against their different needs.

I love mythology and Firelight certainly has its share. The pride of Draki's and their rituals are fascinating, and while lots of their myths are only hinted at, I think the next book in the series is going to be full of it. Pride Alpha, Cassien is a very interesting character, I can't quite weigh him up yet and can't wait to hear more about him. I think we're going to see a very different kind of love triangle form here. One other aspect I really enjoyed was the theme of nature and hunting. Like in real life, the hunters in Firelight want nothing more than to track down and kill something beautiful for their own gain and it made me sad.

Firelight for me was practically perfect and exactly what I needed. It was such an easy read, Sophie Jordan's story telling pulls you in and doesn't let go and I raced through this book in 2 sittings. The only thing that bugged me a little was the amount of times Jacinda decided she was going to ignore Will, as he was too dangerous. I liked how she wavered about this and how she didn't easily fall into his arms without question, but I did get a bit irritated at one point thinking `jeez...not again'. It was slightly repetitive, although it wasn't enough to stop me thoroughly enjoying this book. The ending is awesome and a real cliff hanger, leaving me desperate for the next book in the series, Vanish which will be published both in the US and the UK in September (Hurrah!) Overall, a lot of love for Firelight and comes highly recommended.
on 14 April 2011
'Firelight' was a breathtaking read! I got hooked into the story from the very first page and I didn't want the book to end. I'm so relieved that Sophie Jordan has planned this series as a trilogy because I need more of Jacinda and Will. I'm a huge fan of the paranormal romance genre and I've read a lot of these books recently but very few have gripped me like 'Firelight' did. The narrative fairly flew along and the story was utterly compulsive. This is a book that I'm going to be recommending a lot!

Jacinda is a draki - a descendant of dragons. Her Pride have the power to shift into human form but Jacinda also has a special ability in that she can breathe fire. When Jacinda breaks the rules of the draki, she is made to flee with her mother and twin sister Tamra. Her mother wants nothing more than for Jacinda to embrace her human form but Jacinda won't deny who she truly is. When Jacinda encounters Will, whose family hunt draki, she feels an unquestionable attraction for him but they stand on opposite sides of a great divide. Can they ever be together or will their families come between them?

I honestly could gush all day about this book. It's an incredible YA debut and a brilliant opening to a trilogy which I'm sure is only going to get better and better (if that's possible!). It has a great love story at it's heart with the romance between Jacinda and Will. The pull they feel towards each other is impossible for them to deny and there's a great deal of longing looks, shared glances and tingling touches shared between them. Will makes Jacinda come alive in a way that no one else can and I'm going to enjoy seeing how they overcome all the obstacles that have been placed in their path.

I loved Jacinda and I sympathised with the situation she found herself in. She has to give up what makes her whole when she leaves the Pride and although she wants her family to be happy, she risks her own happiness by staying with them. I also liked the family angle with her twin sister who never manifested. Although they're twins, they have different lives and vastly different longings and it's interesting seeing how the two try to connect. Tamra just wants a normal high school experience and is desperate for Jacinda to try and fit in too but Jacinda won't conform to other peoples' expectations and tries to stay true to herself.

I found the unravelling of the history of the draki absolutely fascinating. They have a system whereby the alpha makes the rules and leads the Pride and this hierarchy has to be rigidly adhered to. Many of the draki have special abilities and a great deal of attention was paid to building up a picture of them and their lives.

I adored this book! The concept is really original and the plot is brilliantly executed. I never thought I was particularly a fan of stories about dragons but 'Firelight' has definitely won me over. I'm counting down the days now until 'Vanish', the next book in the trilogy, is published.
on 24 March 2013
For all those who delight in twilight esque works and paranormal phenomenons, I would highly recommend adding Sophie Jordan's work to your bookshelves for her writing is outstanding. This well-drawn, deeply engrossing novel is one that had me glued to the pages hypnotized by a mystical tale. Fueled by electric tension and exciting fast-paced drama, you will be swept into a fascinating world filled with danger and sinister secrets! The intoxicating romance between Jacinda and Will is as dazzling as Lauren Kate's fallen series or Twilight Saga, and as compelling and believable as any star-crossed lovers in real life. `Firelight' is a story which will glow brightly throughout, with a colorful cast of captivating characters bringing the dynamic saga vividly to life...

A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Jacinda is special. She is hunted by those who dislike Draki (a descendant of Dragons who can shape-shift into human form). Forced to flee into a mortal world, she encounters Will, who is a dangerous threat for he is a hunter. Despite knowing this Jacinda cannot ignore the intense connection they have, and lets her feelings cloud her judgment - for supernatural desire comes with a price.

Inspired and pure genius, I felt almost as if I was reading `Eragon' with a strangely singular supernatural twist. Deeply beguiling and highly readable, this is a fantasy tale to get lost within as the momentum intensifies as you turn each page. I was so impressed with how the author cleverly combined fantasy/ paranormal elements with a fresh contemporary `feel' within such a competitive and popular genre. I was physically glued to my seat, constantly wanting to find out more and anxious to discover what would happen to Jacinda, as she fell hopelessly in love with someone considered to be her enemy.

Simply breathtaking - this is a novel of epic proportions and a definite must-read!
on 7 April 2012
Jacinda is a draki, descended from dragons and has the ability to shift into a human form. She has a very rare ability to breathe fire. This makes her very special to her people. However, when she rebels against the rules set by the elders, her family is forced to flee into the human world and her draki spirit begins to fade. When she meets Will, her draki spirit revives. The only problem is his family hunts her kind. With danger on every side, can Jacinda and Will be together?

I absolutely loved this story! I loved the way Sophie Jordan has created a world where a dragon could transform into a human. Usually, it's a human that transforms. This, in my eyes, makes this book stand out from the crowd.
Jacinda is an interesting character. She is a teenage draki, who is one of the rarest of their kind. She is the only fire-breathing dragon to be born for centuries. Unfortunately, she also has a stubborn streak. When she defies the law, her mother flees with Jacinda and her twin sister, Tamra, to a city called Chaparral in the desert. When she meets Will and her draki spirit wakes up, she finds she is unable to stay away from him.
Will is gorgeous! Unfortunately, his family is very dangerous to all draki - they are dragon hunters. Will feels drawn to Jacinda, but does't know why.
I was totally enthralled with this book! The idea that dragons evolved into people was novel to me, but with all the myths and legends in history, I'm surprised I didn't think of this before! Sophie Jordan has taken a "what if" and turned it into a fantastic tale that has captured my imagination. I'm looking forward to reading the other two books in the Trilogy. Vanish is out in hard copy now, but the paperback is only due for release in September this year. I highly recommend this YA Paranormal Romance if you love a fantastic story that leaves you begging for more.
on 31 January 2013
What's Good About It

With all the vampires and werewolves about in YA fiction, it's great to see a different paranormal creature front and centre. And while the book features many of the tropes of the genre - love triangles, forbidden romance, a paranormal main character who craves a normal life - there's plenty of original ideas, mostly surrounding the dragons. The pride dynamic of the Draki was interesting and the decision Jacinda's mother makes to protect her family is at once admirable and deplorable, nicely setting up the conflict for the story.

And it's a story that doesn't let up. Firelight is a book you could easily read in an afternoon - full of the sort of plot twists and turns which make that little voice in your head say `just one more chapter, then I'll put it down.'

There's a lot of this sort of thing on the market at the moment, but YA paranormal romance really doesn't get much better than this. Jacinda and Will have real chemistry, and Cassian is a viable third wheel - he has his eyes on Jacinda and her firebreathing powers, and as the heir of the Pride, he usually gets what he wants. Jacinda is torn between her sense of duty to the Pride, and her desire to escape the feeling of suffocating oppression they put upon her and with Cassian tangled up in all of that, it's entirely believable that Jacinda feels conflicted about her feelings. This isn't just `two hot boys, what can I do?', there's real romantic tension and that makes the story all the more compelling.

What's Not So Good

I had real trouble imagining what the Draki looked like. I assume some sort of half-dragon/half-human creature, but part of me couldn't get past the idea of a girl transforming into a full on dragon. It bugged me a little.

Rating: 5/5
on 6 November 2011
I like dragons. I really like dragons. I like books about dragons - or descendants of dragons so I was so excited for this. Romance, supernatural, decendants of dragons... I had to read it.

The first thing that struck me was how great a writer Jordan is, she throws us into the action almost straight away, but also introduces us so well to the characters and the cultish world that Jacinda lives in at the beginning, i loved how well she described things and was gripped from the start. The voice was similar to every other young adult supernatural girl, a bit snarky at times but pretty relatable. Despite the fact that she is a draki going to live in the human world, Jacinda's resentment towards her family for making her go is relatable to anybody who has ever been forced to moved house and leave everything behind.

I really loved the characters, Jacinda felt multidimensional and I never thought that she acted stupidly, sometimes she thought too much about Will but I understand that. Will was another character that I loved, he is totally one of my favorite YA book boys that i have read lately. Tamra, Jacinda's sister, really intrigued me and she could become a goody or a baddy in the next book. I didn't like Cassian and hope that the love triangle angst isn't too high in the next book.

I liked the romance, but it was too too instant for me and too familiar, nothing really original in YA. I could, however, see the chemistry and I find it believable, I would have liked it to be a little bit more steady rather than being so rushed.

Final point is that whilst the pacing was good, I could have done with a little more action.

Overall, Firelight was a romantic book that was written well with good characters. There was a little insta-love and a little more action was needed.
on 15 February 2011
Over the last few months, I have had a growing interesting in weres/shifters - I still love my vamps, but the way authors used or created mythology for different shifters was becoming increasingly more fascinating to me. Seeing Firelight was about Draki, people who can shift - or manifest in this case - into creatures descended from dragons, something so different, as soon as I heard about it, I knew I had to read it. I'm so glad I did!

The mythology of the Draki is just so interesting! The different types, the different abilities they have, how they live, it's just fascinating. Unfortunately, due to Jacinda almost getting herself killed, she leaves her Pride with her mother and sister pretty early on in the story, meaning that we don't get to see a lot of life in the Pride. We only get what we're told by Jacinda, but she's preoccupied with some boy most of the time, so we don't get much of it. We know Jacinda is a firebreather, an almost extinct ability, and because of this her Pride wants to control her. Otherwise, as a group of creatures, we don't find out a whole lot about them.

The romance is pretty awesome though. It does get pretty steamy in some places. Firelight is definitely a paranormal romance. Though some other YA novels may be classed as pararnormal romance, if there are issues besides the romance that have a large impact on the story, I consider them to be urban fantasy. With Firelight, the other issues that are brought up don't really have much page time, the romance being the main focus. I think in this way, Firelight is specifically the first book in a series; it builds the romance so that's solid enough for the audience, and in the next book we'll see more of the issues.

There were a few issues that I had with this book, though. Jacinda dithered too much about Will. You can understand her being cautious, but she chopped and changed her mind so often. "I should stay away from Will because he hunts Draki. I should be near Will because he wakes my Draki. But I have to stay away from him because I can't control my manifest when I'm near him. But I can gain information from him about other Draki..." On and on so that it semms not a huge amount actually happens, as it's mostly her internal conflict, with a few almost somethings. Also, I couldn't count the number of times Will looked at Jacinda intensely and hungrily. It seems he has very few facial expressions. It got a little annoying.

Saying all that, I did enjoy the story. It's not the best I've ever read, no, but I still thought it was pretty good. I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel, and finding out what happens next, because, god, what a cliff hanger! Well worth a read, I really recommend it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 April 2011
Jacinda and her Pride are draki, they are descended from dragons but also have the ability to take human form. As the first fire breathing draki born in centuries Jacinda is special and her Pride have big plans for her future. But when Jacinda risks her life breaking the rules her family is forced to flee into the human world to protect her. Living amongst humans Jacinda starts to lose her connection to her draki side, a fate worse than death as far as she is concerned. When she meets Will she knows he is dangerous - he comes from a family of hunters who want to destroy her kind - but being with him helps to keep her draki alive. By spending time with him she risks everything but can she stay away and let her inner draki die?

I have a bit of an obsession with dragons so as soon as I heard about Firelight I knew I had to read it. I absolutely loved the mythology Sophie Jordan has created, there are so many different types of draki and they all have different abilities that I found fascinating. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more of what life is like living amongst the Pride but I have high hopes that we will see a lot more in future books in the series and can't wait to get my hands on the next installment of Jacinda's story.

Life isn't easy for Jacinda when her family moves away from the Pride. Things are much better for her mother and sister who are both happy to embrace their human sides but Jacinda doesn't want to let her draki die. I could completely relate to her feelings and really felt for her but it was easy to see things from her family's point of view too. It was interesting to see the family dynamics because of their different abilities, Jacinda's sister Tamra was always in Jacinda's shadow when they were living amongst the Pride. Out in the human world it is the other way around and Tamra is the one who finds it easier to fit in while Jacinda struggles to cope. It is hard for the sisters to find middle ground when they both long for such different lives and I'm curious to see how things play out for them in the future.

Although I loved the mythology of the draki the story definitely centres around the forbidden romance between Jacinda and Will. I absolutely loved the chemistry between the two of them and the fact that Jacinda knew she was risking everything by spending time with Will added a great dangerous edge to their romance. She knows that if Will discovers her secret she is putting not just herself and her family at risk but also the rest of her Pride but I could understand why she was so drawn to him because she was desperate to keep her draki side alive. If I was in her position I wouldn't want to give up my draki either! Their romance is very intense and great fun to read.

Firelight is definitely a story I would recommend to paranormal romance fans and I can't wait to get my hands on Vanish when it comes out later this year. We were left with quite a cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what happens next.