- Directors: Gerry Anderson, Alan Patillo, John Kelly, David Elliott, Bill Harris
- Producers: Gerry Anderson
- Format: Box set, PAL
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Number of discs: 6
- Studio: Network
- DVD Release Date: 29 Jun. 2009
- Run Time: 975 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 118 customer reviews
- ASIN: B001VAF6SE
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 116,748 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
Fireball XL5 - The Complete Series 
DVD | Box Set
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Box set containing all 39 episodes of the black and white 1960s TV series following the interplanetary adventures of a spacecraft commanded by Colonel Steve Zodiac and his crew: the eccentric maths genius Professor Matthew Matic, the beautiful space doctor Venus, and Robert the Robot. Episodes are: 'Planet 46', 'Hypnotic Sphere', 'Planet of Platonia', 'Space Magnet', 'The Doomed Planet', 'Plant Man From Space', 'The Sun Temple', 'Space Immigrants', 'Space Monster', 'Flying Zodiac', 'Spy in Space', 'XL5 to H20', 'Space Pirates', 'The Last of the Zanadus', 'Space Pen', 'Convict in Space', 'Wings of Danger', 'The Triads', 'Sabotage', 'Prisoner on the Lost Planet', 'Flight to Danger', 'Space Vacation', 'Mystery of the TA2', 'Robert to the Rescue', 'The Forbidden Planet', 'The Granatoid Tanks', 'Dangerous Cargo', '1875', 'The Robot Freighter Mystery', 'Drama at Space City', 'Whistle for Danger', 'Faster Than Light', 'The Day the Earth Froze', 'Invasion Earth', 'Ghosts of Space', 'Trial by Robot', 'A Day in the Life of a Space General', 'Space City Special' and 'The Fire Fighters'.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As with earlier releases, all 39x 25-minute monochrome episodes are contained on 5x DVDs in their original series broadcast order when the show aired in 1962-63 (although the production order differed from the broadcast order).
This package however has two big bonuses which set it apart from earlier releases:
1. Disk 6 containing some superb extras:
• The documentary ‘A Wonderland of Stardust’ on the making of the series featuring almost all the surviving members of the original production team including Gerry & Sylvia and explaining the origins of all the ground-breaking ideas embedded in the series like Robert the Robot, the 2-part Fireball spaceship, the jetmobiles and thruster packs, and so on
• An excellent documentary ‘Drawn in Supermarionation’ about the comic-strip spin-offs in TV Comic, TV Century 21 and other print media which extended the life of the show and the characters for years after the TV series ended production
• The colourised episode ‘A Day in the Life of a Space General’ which is fabulous (why couldn’t the entire 39 episodes be given this treatment?)
• Bill Mevin’s ‘Supercar home movie’
• Contemporaneous ice lolly adverts, image galleries and pdf material
2. An outstanding 80-page colour booklet crammed with text explaining the detailed historical context of Fireball XL5, how it evolved and was produced, how the series continued to have a rich continuity of life in full-colour comic book strips for years following the demise of the TV series, plus a plot guide to all 39x episodes. The booklet’s front cover is a facsimile of the classic full colour ‘TV Century 21’ weekly comic showing its shop price of 7d (£0.03 in today’s money!).
If you’re a Gerry Anderson fan or a student of British children’s TV from the Golden Age of the 1960s, then this lavish, 5-star package is indispensable.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews