Customer reviews

on 19 September 2016
Just started reading book, so far so good. Very interesting. Not a book that you can read and be told how to 'fix' problems. Andrew Saul the author explains what he is about and what vitamin therapy is about, and explains about his experiences and usage of vitamin therapy how he came to it and cases where he has used it. There are some ailments listed at the back but he constantly reiterates that's you must do research for yourself to find what will help you. He does however recommend many books and authors he has read and what his opinion is. Well worth a rad as a starting point to a healthier lifestyle.
on 28 January 2012
The introduction and conclusion were wonderful, and the general information about basic supplements.

Books such as 'Vita-Nutrient solution' and 'Orthomolecular medicine for everyone' had far more detailed information, and would be better choices for those new to the topic, but this book was still great. I really liked this doctors enthusiasm and explanations of the political problems and erronous belief systems that are holding back orthomolecular medicine from being mainstream, as it needs to be.

I'm not convinced however by the argument we all need to be almost vegetarian. This sort of diet just does not agree with me. It might if I could eat a lot of, or any, eggs, soy or dairy, but if you can't and you have a disease that means you deal with high carb foods very very poorly... I feel this advice is not helpful, or perhaps not detailed enough. None of the problems with eating dairy, wheat and nightshades such as postatoes are even mentioned, it's a strange omission.

But overall, I agree with the authors ideas about medicine and our responsibility for our own health very much. Supplements such as ubiquinol, carnitine and others have made a very significant difference to my quality of life. (I have the severe neurological disease Myalgic Encepahlomyelitis). I've found this book very helpful in writing a 'Quick start guide' to treating M.E. with supplements and vitamins.

Recommended, though not as a sole resource as it skims over how to treat many common diseases and the information given on each disease is very brief. It's just a good introductory text for those very interested in this topic. Having said that however, I did also find several very interesting facts in this book that were not even mentioned in the dozen or so other books I have read on this topic, such as the topical application of vitamin C in a paste to treat rashes and lesions.

Check your local library for a copy, at the very least.

Some parts of the book were so good I felt compelled to go to the (for me) enormous effort to type them up as quotes, to use in my 'Quick start guide.' I hope the author wont mind my reposting them here, they really to deserve to be read as widely as possible as they get right to the heart of the matter as it were, I think.

Quotes:

'In newspapers, magazines and on television, the public has been warned off the very vitamins and other supplements that have been repeatedly proven to reduce illness in practically every instance. The effective use of food supplements and natural diet saves money, pain and lives... and you have been told not to do it. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. This especially includes your healthcare. One of the most common questions about vitamin therapy is, are huge doses safe? This book will help answer that question once and for all, and while we are at it, here's the answer in advance. Yes. Megadoses of vitamins are very safe. Vitamins do not cause even one death per year. Pharmaceutical drugs, taken as directed, cause over 100 000 deaths annually. Still it is granted that we need access to all the tools that medicine and technology can provide, when used with caution. We must also fully use our natural resources of therapeutic nutrition and vitamins. To limit ourselves to pharmaceutical medicine is like going into the ring to fight the champ with one hand tied behind our backs.'

'Most people's fear of self-care centres on three common fallacies.

1. You are not educated enough to treat yourself, that is what doctors are for

2. Natural therapies are not powerful enough to cure real diseases

3. Megavitamin therapy is dangerous

These are not facts, these are beliefs, and they are all unfounded. Jazz musician Eubie Blake said it best "It is not what we don't know that harms us, but what we do know that ain't so". If your doctor does not believe in using vitamins, not only is that doctor behind the times, that doctor is not being scientific. Therapeutic nutrition is not a matter of belief; it is a matter of confirmed clinical experience. Belief systems can be wrong.'

'Modern drug based medicine is as incomplete as a novel written with three vowels. As discordant as a symphony constructed using only some of the notes. High dose nutritional therapy is the much needed missing part of our vocabulary of healthcare. The fight against disease needs all the help it can get.'

'Modern medicine is not scientific, it is full of prejudice, illogic and susceptible to advertising. Doctors are not taught to reason, they are programmed to believe in whatever their medical schools teach them and the leading doctors tell them. Over the past 20 years the drug companies, with their enormous wealth, have taken medicine over and now control its research, what is taught and the information released to the public.' Abram Hoffer MD

'There are absolutely times when we need professional help, but we can act to greatly reduce the frequency of those times and far beyond what we have been told. Time in front of a computer screen can teach us a lot more than time in front of a movie screen. But hasn't health information on the internet been described as the mother lode of all quackery? Of course it has, but as you learned in kindergarten, calling names does not make it so. There is a practical alternative to blind trust, use your noodle and see for yourself. Be your own doctor; manage your own case, live healthier today.'

'Good nutrition and vitamins do not directly cure disease, the body does. You provide the raw materials and the inborn wisdom of your body makes the repairs. Someday healthcare without megavitamin therapy will be seen as we today see childbirth without sanitation or surgery without anaesthetic.'

'There is virtually no funding for pharmaceutical companies to fund vitamin research. Why is that? Because there is no money for them in a cheap, non-prescription cure which already exists and cannot be patented. For decades, nutritionists and dieticians have preached tat vitamin and mineral supplements are not needed if you just eat a balanced diet. It is a nice story, but it is only a story. Daily supplements are the only way Americans can possible get the 800 IU of vitamin e per day, the amount that prevents most cardiovascular disease. Daily supplements are the only way to get several thousands milligrams of vitamin C per day, the amount that is protective against many forms of cancer. Nutritional deficiency is the rule not the exception in America. It is simply not enough to keep cholesterol and saturated fat out of your diet, you have to put something good in.'

'When pharmaceuticals are versatile, they are called `broad spectrum' and `wonder drugs.' When vitamins are versatile, they are called `faddish' and `cures in search of a disease.' Such a double standard needs to be exposed and opposed at every turn. People often ask, `if vitamin therapy is so good, why hasn't my doctor told me about it?' I do not know the answer to that question. Quite frankly, over time, I have grown to be less and less fired-up about even wanting to know. Theer are too many sick people that need positive help.'

'Vitamin C is the world's best natural antibiotic, antiviral, antitoxin and antihistamine. This book's recurring emphasis on vitamin C might suggest that I am offering a song with only one verse. Not so. As English literature concentrates on Shakespeare, so orthomolecular (megavitamin) therapy concentrates on vitamin C. Let the greats be given their due. The importance of vitamin C cannot be overemphasised.'
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 May 2015
This book is fabulous. I always sit down to read it when ever I can. It has alot of information regarding personal health, the author also emphasises social aspects of life as well. Don't regard this book as a mere book! It is actually a guide to improve your health, the author gives you ideas and hints on how to improve the health of you and the ones you care for. I have read up many articles by the author. He is also a expert in the B6 vitamins, including the wonders of niacin. Many of his solutions work. The book covers many health problems from: Acne,anxiety attacks,arthritis,cardiovascular disease,addictions,constipation,gallstones,indigestions,prostrate problems,respiratory problems,urine infections,yeast infections,anorexia,food poisoning,memory loss to sleep disorders,and many more! I have just mentioned the few that affect us mainly. As with all informational books the author basically teaches you to investigate your health problems further. This book is a good source of information and gets you started on the right track!
on 29 August 2009
I happen to have the services of a very good Doctor. He is friendly too; always has been. However, I balieve it is just because of those attributes, he has been much in demand. Increasingly so, of late.
Furthermore, prescription drugs, their side effects and costs, have caused me to search the Internet.
Some three years ago, I was introduced to Cell Salts, which had dramatic results on my health and healing. No side effect; no overdosing possible, and at the fraction of the costs in comparison. I was excited and challenged to explore this, to me, newfound medicine. I was able to obtain a good little reference book, from South Africa, and began to cure myself. Cure indeed. I have visited my good Doctor, just twice this year.
My curiosity sent me to search the Internet. When I came accross this book's title (Fire your Doctor), have just one guess what I did? Yes, you are right, I bought one. (Amazon - UK, thank you for prompt service and delivery).
About the book? Its is written in plain language, easy to understand for someone like I who has limited schooling. This book, now in my possession, is the best investment I have made. I wish I was aware of healing by Vitamins and Cell salts, years ago!!! I highly recommend this book to those of you who are tired of going to the Doctors waiting rooms, and wait....., then to the Pharmacy for the drugs, which in most of cases treat the surface but not the cause. I do respect my Doctor, very much, and remeber, there will be times when I will need him. So also, does Dr Andrew Saul tell us in his book. But I know that my visits to my Doctor will be a fraction of what they used to be. By-the-way, I am 78 years of age.
22 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 December 2013
This book is an eye opener especially if you have an illness and have tried everything (including pharmaceutical drugs) and nothing works. After reviewing the section on Rheumatoid Arthritis I started taking large doses or vitamin c and have never looked back! Buy it if you need good, solid guidance.
on 22 June 2014
Life changing easy to follow advise about how to help yourself with with nutrition etc. Pain relief with Vit C for instance and I tried it and it works. Wouldn't be without this book. You will be amazed at how easy it is to heal yourself without drugs and painkillers which just mask the real problem. Sort the problem and the rest will follow. Good health to you.:-)
on 20 February 2016
Had to read this book after reading Doctor yourself, love the information and I have a lot of trust in Andrew Saul. He has no financial gain from selling any kind of supplement. Well recommended if your looking to improve your health.
on 24 August 2016
Great common sense book written by a Doctor who knows all about supplements and what they can do for your health, or lack of it as the case may be. Well worth a read and covers so many different ailments.
on 25 February 2017
Absolutely delighted with this book. Condition is exceptionally good given rated at acceptable. Super fast delivery.

Have found book incredible interesting and useful.
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2017
a must have book. I know it all already so was a bit disappointed there was not more . it is good. It is real. It is true and everyone shoudl read it and so as it says.