Customer reviews

on 13 January 2015
I'm putting up this review after my second Finis Tempo Trainer Pro has just stopped working. The first was replaced for free by Amazon when it croaked after only a couple of months use. The second lasted approximately 6 months of intermittent use but the battery ran low surprisingly quickly (resulting in persistent long beep tones and then/or nothing). In the last week, somehow water has got into the device and it is now kaput.

I don't want to buy another one because of the quality problems, but on the other hand, this device has been great for my training and I'll be worse off without it. I use it either for pacing lengths in a pool (eg. n.n secs/half length) or working on my stroke rate (ie. n strokes per minute).

If the thing was decent quality I'd give it 5 stars - come on Finis, do the right thing and sort it out!!
55 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2013
I read other positive reviews and purchased the Pro after realising I probably have the slowest stroke rate per minute in my swim club and feeling like that's causing dead spots in my stroke. I felt I was slower than I need to be, like a cyclist who grinds away in a large gear with low cadence. After 2 years of diligently improving my technique my plateauing speed was frustrating me. Why didn't I think of this years ago!

You'll either love or hate the beeping. I find it relaxing - it focuses on timing for me, just like having a drummer in the band counting time.

Initially I was taking ~47spm in the pool and by the end of my first session with it was up to ~65spm and felt like I was 'sitting higher' in the water when swimming, rather than overgliding as normal. Like the YouTube videos for SwimSmooth recommend, I only increased the spm if my technique held up. I didn't feel any more tired or out of breath. The higher stroke rate stops me trying to 'muscle' through the water - to use a cycling comparison, I now feel like I'm 'spinning'.

I've now used it in two open water races. The first (500m) involved quite a bit of 'argy bargy' with other swimmers and the Pro stayed firmly in place in the nape of my neck under my cap. At the end of the aquathlon, the Pro was still happily beeping away in T1 by my goggles, which made it easy to find. In the second (750m) it was also secure and at ~68spm it kept me focused on not reverting into overgliding as I tired.

I've found I hit my 100m split times better (it's set to beep every 20 seconds [20m pool]) and have gone from struggling to achieve 1:45 / 100m to easily hitting <1:38 / 100 in a week. In O/W swimming I did a 750m lap last night 20 seconds quicker when I increased the spm by 5. Again, didn't feel more tired at the higher stroke rate and felt it kept me consistent and focused throughout.

I use all 3 modes: Mode 1 for warm up (set to 60spm), Mode 2 for sets (set to beep every length) and Mode 3 for open water or swimming with my swim club (set to 65spm - 70 spm) and it's not too hard to change between modes, even when treading water, as long as you're not too long-sighted.

I've also noticed I prefer a higher cadence when neoprened up and swimming in O/W, and a lower cadence when I'm in a pool. My brain is still getting used to my new higher arm turnover and I know I'll revert to overgliding in the short term if I stop using it.

4 stars rather than 5 just because when my pool is busy it's a little hard to hear the beeps when my head is not submerged... but any louder and swimmers around you might start looking for a 'suspicious beeping device'! Also, while it does float, it's tiny in a lake or nearby grass (and set to 'off') and I will attach a brightly-coloured ribbon or similar as it's expensive enough that I don't want to lose it. It would be great if the 'clip' could work with goggle straps or if it came attached to a goggle-type strap so it could hang around your neck / not get lost when not in use. I also like that it turns off after 3 hours.

A tiny downside is that in shorter pools in Mode 2 (to beep at the end of each lap) you can only adjust by a minimum increment of 1 second, e.g. in my 20m pool I set it to beep every 20 seconds (1:40 per 100m) but I now swim at 1:38. But if I change the beep to every 19 seconds I will end up with a 1:35 target, which is a bit of a stretch x8 sets! Not so bad for 100m sets, but for 400m sets in a short pool it could add up...less of a big deal if you swim in 25m or 50m pools. It's now always in my swim kit bag.

Still worth buying, though...unless you compete in my age group in which case there's nothing to see here, thank you ;-).
on 31 January 2017
I agree with other reviewers. When this works, it's great. But the battery it comes with doesn't last that long, and when I replace batteries they last for one session and then it stops working. I used this two to three times a week for about five months before the original battery ran out, and it's excellent as a training tool. I suppose I'll have to get another one - but the manufacturers really should sort out the problem with replacement batteries.
on 26 January 2016
works well and is well made. expensive for what it is. it does fit under a swim cap but it is quite large for that. mine has popped out a few times. in a lake you would lose it. beeping is easy to her. the interface is fairly simple but not intuitive and could be improved.
on 14 October 2015
Saw some bad reviews about this item. This is my second tempo trainer and I've had it for about a month. The previous model didn't have replaceable batteries, but lasted over two years before the battery failed. And it didn't float like this one. I find this one easier to use - the asymmetric shape makes it easy to put back in the clip after resetting, and if worn on the goggle strap, it's simple to switch on and off without removing it.
on 7 June 2017
I don't mind replacing these things but surely a 6-month lifespan is not built in to the design?? It's absolutely 5 stars whilst it works but the constant re-ordering (and re-paying!) is a royal pain in the backside... Ironically, the cause of the fault is that the device is not 100% waterproof which made me chuckle!
on 3 June 2016
Bought to improve swimming skills. This item did the job however it developed a fault after several months. The vendor happily exchanged the item with no issue.
on 18 February 2017
The new battery last less than 24 hours!!!! What's going on? What kind of design is this ??? Use it for 30 minutes then switch off and the next day can not use it any more, The same happened with 2 new batteries.
on 14 May 2015
SHOCKING WASTE OF MONEY
Stopped working after Three months ( 36 Swims ) , Thought it was the battery , Could not find the correct battery anywhere ,
Had to order it online.
which took another three weeks to arrive .. Then tried to return it BUT guess what
NO returns after Three months . GO TO HELL FINIS , Stick to making things that don't need batteries ...
on 5 January 2015
I've had four of these. When they work they are brilliant, but for no apparent reason they do keep failing.