on 25 November 2007
I wanted to play the Beatles Fingerstyle and was hoping to get some of the rich sound from just my guitar, something I know is possible due to the fantastic examples on youtube.

This offering is incredibly simple, rarely do you play anything more than two strings at once. Although this means a more experienced guitarist can fly through these versions and those who haven't been playing as long can progress relatively quickly, the finished performance is in my opinion lacking.

However, there are not any mistakes I have found and the arrangements if simple do at least sound like the songs for the most part, all is played in the first position too.

So buy this book for fun, but not if you are serious about wanting to play fingerstyle Beatles.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2009
Hal Leonard obviously found they had a rich vein of players who liked the easy fingerstyle arrangements they produced in this series and went for it with about 20 titles. This Beatles version is very good value for 30 songs. Pretty easy to play. I use them as a teacher for my players who've done about a year and want to build a bit of a repetoire of bombproof solos. (All very well going for the sophisticated arrangements - but do you want to play those and risk errors in front of an audience?)

If you want the next level up after knocking this lot off, then try the Schoenberg book. If this book is about Grade 2 to 4, then the Eric Schoenberg is about Grade 5 to 8.Fingerpicking Beatles

Another option at slightly harder than this book would be Fred Sokolow's Beatles book. Fingerpicking Beatles (Catalog #699404))
on 6 January 2008
For Beatles' fans - this is a pretty simple but, in general, fairly accurate representation of some top songs. If, -- as any true Beatles fan would -- you want to know how to play Blackbird or Dear Prudence - then, here they are! Some songs,such as Norwegian Wood, have rather odd arrangements - but they are odd in quite a nice way - and , anyway, that a strummer's song (and easy to work out). This deserves better than 3 stars. Rooksby's Beatles 'Chords' book is also great for anyone who just wants to strum along. There are many very bad Beatles song books out there: this is NOT one of them, try it.
on 4 April 2014
I really don't agree with the poor reviews, this is a great book, you can learn fingerstyle arrangements of classic songs, without breaking your fingers trying to learn, theres hardly a bar chord , most of these arrangements are arranged in guitar friendly keys, make great use of open strings, and are a joy to play, I will add not all of these arrangements work im my opinion, but its worth buying for the ones that do, yesterday, 64, nowhere boy a lovely drop d Norwegian wood, you don't need to be a fretboard wizard to get these tunes swinging, ive been playing for 16years so I feel im qualified to give a good review
on 25 August 2012
This is a gem of a book -if you like the Beatles and you like finger picking style - with some of their best tunes.

I've read a few negative comment about this book:ignore them if you are intermediate level, and you have some fingerpicking experience and/ or you want to hone your skills in fingerpicking. Learn the basic arrangements first then work up gradually to the more advanced levels arrangements - this gives you a good grounding.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed if you fall into any of the above catergories.
on 19 September 2011
I've been playing guitar for about 2 years the course I am learning from introduces finger style in session 10 I've been studying that session now from May 2011 and find this book just right for where I'm at in my studies with learnandmasterguitar . com It's still very much a challenge but not beyond my grasp another student suggested the book I'm glad I took his advice.
on 6 February 2009
These songs are timeless and wonderful These arrangements for finger pickers are extremely effective yet playable by the average guitarist.
on 8 January 2010
I have always been a Beatles fan and I was asked to play at a wedding this year in Liverpool for my daughter's friend and they asked for the bridesmaids to come into the church to "Let it be" . So I thought why not improve on what I can play already, so I bought the book and I am delighted with it . It is well presented and easy to follow and the chord notation and words help in the redition and learning process. A good buy for me hope they like the sound at the wedding.
on 28 November 2010
This is a good book but you will need to be a good 'picker' to get the best from it. There are also some odd mistakes with the chords/chord positions and some of the arrangements, however it may be that this is how they were written but not as played by the 'lads'!!
Not for early learners!
on 28 October 2011
Just a really good book for any budding lennons out there who wants to play some songs for friends /family etc. Buy this book it's ace!