on 4 September 2014
I bought this book for my son as I already have a copy when it was first published. This is a tie-in with the BBC TV Series from the late nineties and tells the story from ordinary people who where affected during those spring and summer months of 1940. The stories are remarkable and sad but you come away with such admiration for the unusual conditions that they found themselves in. This book looks at the political wrangling in Downing Street to the young girl hanging on an overturned lifeboat in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. There is a DVD available which accompanies this book. If World War II of the 1940 period interests you or history overall then this is an excellent book.
VINE VOICEon 10 February 2010
this book is a chronological grouping of various peoples experiences during the battle for France and the battle of Britain. the way that is written has been crafted to appeal to more the masses than the person interested in more of the detail of these engagements, it is more an oral history book. nevertheless I found it engaging from the outset and tripped along like a decent novel where you are always interested in what is going to happen on the next page. I found myself more engaged in the peoples story and not so much the technical detail in the end.

loved it but would appeal more to the light reader than the technical reader. I do both so suited me fine. I have their other book the end of the beginning so will be looking forward to that on the strength of this book
One person found this helpful
on 2 July 2014
no actors .. just film from the time and soldiers re-enacting their roles while still in Europe after the war. No action heroes but it gives a real sense of what it must have been like... fascinating bit of history.. look at the faces of the 1940's soldiers and contrast with faces of modern actors in mockumentaries about the war ... you never take the modern actors seriously again... I think that's why I liked the films that included Bill Blewett! He was what he was!!
on 7 August 2017
It is superbly written and controlled piece of literature, well balanced with many life gems and political snapshots of the goings on over the period. Nicely collated.
on 12 August 2015
I had already read this book a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it so much, and considered the information to be so significantly important, I ordered this copy for my 52 year old daughter.
She too enjoyed it, and was captured by the extent of the isolationism that Winston Churchill had to endure and overcome.
He was a man alone, surrounded by critics, deceived by other countries, and for a long time, refused the support he needed by America.
The story unfolds like a well written novel, with GB on the brink of defeat.
An excellent read.
on 26 April 2018
loved this book so much had to buy it twice as lost first copy
on 22 June 2015
This was bought on my husband's recommendation for his cousin (70th) who is interested in all things about the Wars. We've not heard anything so may be this is a good thing!!
on 3 October 2013
An easy to read book which looks at perhaps one of the most important battles in history through the eyes of those who participated in and witnessed it. How close the world came to the disaster of a German victory in the west is not something you learn in lessons at school. We owe that generation so much more than we can ever realise.
on 2 July 2015
You will not put this down! Great read and a testimony to those who fought in Britain's finest hour and kept going regardless.
on 3 November 2017
A great book which covers many aspects of the war in 1940 through the people who lived through it and saw it