on 31 December 2012
I've been meaning to write this review for months. The problem was I've had this book in my bag and keep dipping into it on train journeys - so never quite got around to writing the review.

It's not often that a book stays in my bag - but this one is worth the extra weight. As with all Ian Cooper's books it has his signature style of 'brutal honesty' combined with very witty observations. Some of the stories that Ian recounts will have you laughing out loud.

This book is a true bible on the subject of business development. Until I had read the book, I mentally equated business development with selling. I could not have been so wrong.

The book has 659 tips, tools, techniques and strategic questions which will help you answer the following questions:
* How can I get more profit from my business
* How can we get more business from our current clients and customers
* How can we effectively attract new clients and customers

It doesn't matter whether you work in a B2B or B2C environment - this book has good solid advice that works for every business.
on 10 September 2012
Ian's book could so easily have followed the track of countless self help manuals - full of platitudes, cliches and glib exhortations designed to impress people who have never run businesses in their lives. Some platitudes are present - after all cliches are grounded in truth, hence their superficial appeal - but I can honestly say that all of Ian's observations and advice have that ring of authenticity about them. Having been involved in the management and ownership of large as well as smaller enterprises for nearly 50 years, I can honestly say that if you follow the Ian Cooper mantra you will not go far wrong! As an old dog, I am happy to acknowledge new tricks. Stanley Jackson - Chairman, F4 Group Limited
on 7 March 2017
Good read.
on 20 October 2012
This definitely gets the Carslberg award as probably the best book on business development ever.
It is easy to read, concise and to the point, humourous, but most important, filled with superb advice.
Many of the ideas are not new, but it was good to be reminded of many techniques which have been forgotten or under-used in recent years.

However, on the use of technology, emails for example, I felt that the author was not a regular user and was simply paying lip service to the topic. Suggesting that checking emails one or twice a day is sufficient is to ignore just how much rapid-fire email exchanges take place in any business day. Each day I receive 40-50 relevant emails and many require an immediate response. I, or my suppliers, would miss many a deadline if we only checked emails twice a day!

Nonetheless, this is an excellent book for large or small company owners, sales people, or anyone who wants to improve and increase their business.
on 5 June 2012
Ian's book is a great and easy read. With holidays approaching its well worth putting in the suitcase and making time to read the book and then think about how you can implement the ideas. Who does not want more PROFITABLE customers and clients? It's not rocket science, the best ideas rarely are- but the contents of the book are no nonsense and practical. The last chapeter is "Making It Happen", so if you do that, you will make a difference to you business.
on 26 July 2012
Having just finished Financial Times Guide To Business Development I find myself frustrated that it wasn't available three years ago when I set my business up.

The book is filled with practical tips and tricks that have already proved useful and profitable in the days since I put them into action after finishing the read.

What amazed me most was how easily Ian Cooper's suggestions fit in with my business (video production...[...]) and how quickly some could applied.

I don't normally write reviews but felt that others should be able to benefit from this book in the way I have done.

Thanks
on 5 September 2012
I think above all Ian's gift is to communicate in a way that is accessible to the layperson. Keeping the writing style simple, stripping out jargon and ignoring fads makes it a swift read with much you can put into practice immediately.
on 9 August 2013
Provides good common sense advice and guidance relevant to business development. Emphasis is placed on connecting with your market as opposed to driving a hard sell. (best tip: Never say no to a customer trying to give you money)
on 22 August 2012
As someone new to Business Development, I found this book to be perfectly pitched and full of excellent advice and guidance. It dispenses with all the traditional BD hype and psychobabble and gets right down to the no-nonsense basics and practical steps anyone can take to improve their success and effectiveness in developing their business. Overall, an excellent, helpful and entertaining read from start to finish. Very highly recommended.
on 15 February 2016
Clear guide on how to maximise your business development efforts.