Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£21.99|
Save £8.15 (37%)
Digital Filmmaking for Beginners A Practical Guide to Video Production (Electronics) 1st , Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 202 pages||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||Page Flip: Enabled|
|Optimised for larger screens|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
The author has a friendly style and is undoubtedly knowledgeable on the topic of television and film production, with long experience. However he offers an an overview of analog and television equipment and stops at digital tape based formats such as DVCPRO and Digi Beta. These formats were introduced in the early 1990s, and are by now obsolete. No word about tapeless or video DSLR equipment. This is not usable information for somebody who is a beginner in digital filmmaking; this is a nostalgic lesson in TV equipment history.
Secondly, each and every topic in the book takes 2-3 paragraphs. There is no practical advice found inside - unless suggesting that you edit your own video and write your own music counts as practical. Reading this whole book may make you knowledgeable enough to know when to nod while listening to a conversation about video production, but only if you have had absolutely no prior knowledge on the matter.
In my opinion, a "practical guide" is supposed to teach you certain skills and offer you some advice on a particular topic. For example, buy this or that piece of equipment, get this or that piece of software and try to do this and that with it. Buy you will not find such advice in this book. The information is so generic so as to be useless. And as I said before, it is hopelessly outdated.
This book may have been published in 2012 but has been written not later than 2002. I cannot imagine anybody who would qualify as a beginner in digital production today and would benefit from reading this book.
Do not buy this book.
The book covers everything from the creative side of scripting, technical details, shooting formats, and editing. Mike leaves nothing out!
I especially liked the pictures and the numbered diagrams for the digital editing process. Mike makes several suggestions as to software products that might work for me. The book helped me to narrow the field on appropriate equipment as well. I also found that learning the 'lingo' of the Video Production business would be helpful when applying for work in this creative business.
His "step by step", made it easy to understand. I can hardly wait to get started with my first production!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Digital Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Video
- Books > Computing & Internet > Networking & Security > Network Topics
- Books > Computing & Internet > New to Computing
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Animation & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Guides & Reference > Guides for Film-makers
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Computers & Film
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Screenwriting
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Television > Direction & Production
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Television > TV Genres > Animation
- Books > Reference > Consumer Guides
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Electronics Engineering > Digital Electronics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Telecommunications
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Television Technology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Film & Video
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Photography
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Television
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Computing > Digital Media > Video Production
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering > Electronics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Technology & Engineering > Telecommunications