Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £12.04 (93%)
Fighting Through to Kohima: A Memoir of War in India and Burma Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is a refreshing antidote to the `jungle hell' variety of Burma Campaign history. Lowry's perspective by contrast is that of an infantry leader in a well-ordered and disciplined team, in no way dominated or outclassed by the fanatical `warrior ants' (as Slim called them) of the Japanese Imperial Army against whom they were fighting. It is a story of complete professionalism, of a commitment to maintaining the highest standards in the fastidious detail of an infantryman's existence, and of hard and relevant training.Read more ›
This is a story worth reading. Whilst it is not in the same literary class as "Quartered safe out here" and "Bugles and a Tiger", it offers a similar perspective of what it was like to participate in some of the bitterest fighting on the Burma front. The author frames his account around diary entries written at the time and this gives an valuable insight into what was important to him. What comes over very strongly are the personal attributes that go towards making an effective platoon and company leader... The need to set an example, the care for his men, the need to do a job effectively without wasting lives, and finally his pride in his men and his regiment.
I found the company commander perspective of the fighting in Arakan and Kohima to be very effectively conveyed and I felt I gained a genuine insight into what it must have been like to experience life as a junior infantry commander in Burma at that time. For that reason I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to those who have a similar interest.
Like others I have found the "translation" of accompanying maps into Kindle format highly exasperating. There is no technical reason why maps have to be displayed in such a small format. Less that a quarter of the display page (and with the wrong page orientation!) is very simply sloppy technical adaptation. If I had paid the same price as for a physical book I would have been very aggrieved. I hope publishers take note for the future.
Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I'd hoped. The reasons include that it's based upon contemporary diary entries, and at times felt like reading stale press cuttings - at times the text is a bit stilted. Mr Lowry is not a gifted writer. More importantly, perhaps as many soldiers would do, he states the facts more than he reveals and dramatizes emotions. For such reasons, I've rated the book 3*. The book is a testament to how things were, how it seemed from a professional soldiers point-of-view, the genius of British soldiers, the tremendous toughness of the Japanese enemy, ...but I don't think it's up to the standard of some other Burma war memoirs.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Could not put the ebook down from start to finish . Makes me proud to know that these men were willing to do what they did for us all. Read morePublished 2 months ago by graham simpkins
This memoir gives us the infantryman's view of the famous campaigns at Arakan and Kohima. More than this it does so from the perspective of a company commander who never fails to... Read morePublished 2 months ago by A. Hall
A graphic description of not just the fighting bravery but the suffering caused by illnesses endured by these troops in that campaign.Published 6 months ago by ian jayne
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Indian Subcontinent
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > India
- Books > History > Military History
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns > Burma
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Asia
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Branches > Army
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War II
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > United Kingdom
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Regional U.K.
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Asia
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World