on 9 October 2015
Very good
on 11 July 2013
As an 80 year old, I was a boy of 11 by D-Day. Living on the S Wales coast, near to good beaches, we saw much of the build-up and training of American forces, and British Special Forces. My view of D-Day was that of a child - simplistic, and totally unrealistic.
We had hosted many Dunkirk survivors in 1940, and now we were going back to throw the Germans out of France.
I have read several accounts of D-Day over the past years, but this is the most realistic account yet - warts and all! I had been friendly with an ex-para who taken part in the action at Merville battery, where he had lost his best mate, and witnessed his meeting with a German ex-soldier who had been defending the area.at the same time. As they realised, they could have shot each other.
The detail in this book is first class, and shows true scholarship and research.
on 28 July 2013
A good, quick read about the main events of the Normandy landings and some of the wider context of the War. Poorly proofread and prone to sweeping statements that cannot be taken as anything other than the author's own supposition, given that they are rarely supported by reference to supporting materials.
on 20 April 2012
Whoever has written this book has clearly not researched the subject very well. The book leaves aside many important facts, gets others facts wrong and tries to explain events in a 'childish' way.
on 9 November 2012
Having visited the D-Day landing sites on more than occasion I found the book very true to life and taking me through events as they happened.I also found the book very concise, not full of unnessary trivialities,but to the point.Good read for the interested.
on 14 May 2014
Too many sweeping statements, this book passed a couple of hours,but didnt grab me like some others! Would be ideal for someone just discovering an interest in d-day, as it has little detail and would be a foundation to build on.
on 17 August 2013
I have visited the beaches and read other books of the landings.
This one was well written and I found it kept my interest as I
could recollect the towns and places that I had seen years ago.
on 24 December 2012
A great read. From people who acutally took part and saw the horrors of the D-Day landings, amazing to read the story of how young men were facing death and dealt with it.
on 27 June 2013
A good book for the reader who wants an insight into the Normandy landings without getting bogged down with too much technical data. Well written and easy to read.
on 25 December 2012
Excellent history, a gritty tale of the Death and suffering of our Forces when they invade France, to kick out the German Invaders