Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2006
Fiends of the Eastern Front appeared in 2000AD some time in the eighties, and comprehensively frightened the pants off me. It remains one of the few 'standalone' 2000AD stories seared in my memory.

The story very effectively cranks up the tension as Schmitt realises first of all what his Romanian comrades are and then has to track them down and destroy them while they try and do the same to him. The last few of the bad guys to go do so in ingenious ways, and the last one of all has real twist in the tail. Marvellous.
on 18 July 2006
I read this when I was 10yrs old (when it originally appeared

in 2000AD), way back in 1980 & it left an indelible mark on my

psyche. So it gives me great pleasure to finally have this

outstanding Vampires/WWII comic strip back in my tremulous hands, 25 years later.

It was worth the wait. Finley-Day's story rattles along with all the pace of a Panzer tank, & Ezquerra's artwork

(one of the top three illustrators Tharg ever employed, along with Bolland & Bisley) is outstanding.

Dig it.
on 21 December 2009
I read this way back at the age of 12 or so,and it is one of the most troubling things i ever read before or since#
my dad threw all my comic books away when i left home but now i have the chance of more sleepless nights
quality stuff
It is rather funny how some things trigger memory's from the past, and this short story that appeared in 2000 AD is one them. While by today's standards it may seem - dare I say 'tame' in my youth I found it rather scary and all too realistic in its telling. The art work was of a high standard and as a comic strip that was told in episodic fashion it was very well done, as others have commented a real gem and I hope more of these get published.
It is rather funny how some things trigger memory's from the past, and this short story that appeared in 2000AD is one them. While by today's standards it may seem - dare I say 'tame' in my youth I found it rather scary and all too realistic in its telling. The art work was of a high standard and as a comic strip that was told in episodic fashion it was very well done, as others have commented a real gem and I hope more of these get published.
on 4 March 2012
The original Fiends story only had a short run, and it is reproduced here in all it's glory.....errr....gory. However, it's bulked out with a second follow-up story which is a bit naff (awful artwork). For me it's not really worth the £9.99 cover price.

Why not just publish the original in paperback for £4.99 ?
on 15 January 2012
A welcome return to a forgotten gem. I loved this when I read the original, too short, apperance of this strip in 2000AD. This book includes the original and the re-imaged version of the strip that appeared in 2000AD' monthly incarnation. I like both but preferred the original as this was the version from my childhood.
on 11 December 2012
This is a great three book anthology/collection of vampire/world war two tales with an afterword in the form of a note from the author about how the project commenced and developed and its future direction (there is an ad for Fiends of the Rising Sun which unfortunately did not get beyond its first book).

Developed from a short but popular 2000AD comic book strip which could be summed up as Nazis vs. Vampires the first story is that of three brothers, an infantry man, a tank commander and a pilot who discover the Furher has made an alliance with vampires while campaigning on the eastern front, the second story is a strong first person narrative by a member of the red army fighting the German advance as part of a penal company who are aware of the vampire threat and the final story switches between the survivors of the first story and the second as the allies prevail over Hitler but the world is threatened by the advent of a Vampire "blood war".

Each book has its own style, although I thought the second was the strongest and most well written, each have been researched well but the second I found the most interesting aswell in its historical and incidential detail, some similar plot devices and develops occur in the final book to the first book but its done very well and I did not anticipate it in advance. The pace is good and each book could be described as a page turner, the vampires are very, very traditional, not a hint of twilight or interview with a vampire style modernisation of the classic supernatural fiends, think Dracula instead. If you like traditional vampire tales or world war two stories I think you would like these stories.
on 12 October 2009
I have read this story for the first time since I was boy, in a weekly comic book magazine.

It is a powerful story - I am not embarrased to say as a boy that I lost some sleep over it.

I read it again now and still retains it's potency and I believe that it would make a very good movie.
on 12 March 2010
I read this story when it first came out in 2000AD and I loved it. I when I saw it was on sale, I had to buy it. The story still stands the test of time, and the illustrations are menacing and dark as I remember.