Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 26 March 2013
A good story based on Burma and India in the 1920's and opening up a part of India which has largely been forgotten. For the best part of a century the Kolar Gold Fields, in South India, produced a great deal of wealth and was a very pleasant place to live for the British and Anglo-Indian communities. Fiona McIntosh is unashamedly visiting her family roots and builds round this a fascinating story of love and adventure, hurt and sadness. with a unique insight into the life and times of some very interesting people. Anyone who has had experience of KGF (as it is commonly known), or India, will be gripped by it, and those who haven't will find an unknown world opening up to them
on 27 January 2014
Brilliant book, first I have read from this author, and it certainly won't be the last. I found it hard to put down, and never sure of which way the story was going to go. All in all a great read.
on 17 August 2015
I hadn't read one of Fiona's books before but will read more now.
This book was magical. Twists and turns. You felt like you was there in India with them. I couldn't put it down.
But sad in places too. Wonderful.
on 15 October 2016
A brilliant & very absorbing read. First book from Fiona McIntosh I have read, really, really enjoyed it. I got so into it I feel like I have been to India and back and lived the lives of the caracters. I deliberately slowed right down the reading of it because I genuinely did not want this book to end. Will definitely look out for more books by Fiona McIntosh.
on 6 March 2016
Fiona McIntosh is a brilliant writer who does her research. She lives in Australia and Tasmania, although she is English by birth. Time she was published in the UK.
on 8 May 2014
This is another McIntosh wonder and has held me enthraled from beginning to end.

Races along with barely a pause, wow!
on 18 December 2013
Excellent I have bought it for my aunt for Christmas. We were such intrepid travellers in those days going into the unknown
on 25 July 2015
I enjoyed this unusual story very much. Very good characters and interesting setting.
on 17 May 2015
hooked from the first line of the first chapter.. a completely compelling story.
on 26 July 2015
Predictable...gave up half way though