on 26 November 2011
As someone that knew a lot about fabrics and sewing but only the basics of fabric printing, I found this book to be brilliant. I dream of becoming a fabric designer and this book makes you feel that the dream could come true, with practical advice on how to realise it.
It contains information on pattern repeats, colour, motif size, copyright as well as printing techniques, fabric type, weight etc. The book is well laid out and contains lots of lovely images of some great fabric ranges.
I read it from cover to cover as it was a great read. I throughly enjoyed this book and it is one that I know I will continue to dip in and out of for years to come. This book is a keeper and I definitely recommend it
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 August 2013
A good book if you are a beginner to design or a newcomer to the idea of putting your creative ideas onto fabric. Lots of methods and ideas covered and plenty of technical stuff too.
on 8 March 2017
Good
on 20 August 2013
This covers a lot of areas; design, colour, tutorials, design by hand and computer, illustrator, photoshop, colour-ways and collections, printing block, digital and screen, career, profit, business and advice from the pro’s. This is a very comprehensive book and has a wealth of info and things to try.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 February 2012
This is bound to be a very popular book as fabric designing is so desirable and so now. Kimberly starts by taking a look at contemporary fabric design, she then goes deeper into the fundamentals of design and colour. Patten layout and repeats is a good section. She looks at different ways of designing - by hand drawing, Illustrator and so on. There is an in-depth look at printing methods and producing fabric. Designers give their insight too. I liked the layout and design of this book and it has very good content, written in an easy to understand style with excellent supporting photographs. Basically this book will take you through exactly what you need to know to be a fabric designer. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 17 August 2013
Easy to understand, step-by-step instructions for creating repeat patterns. Easy to read, plus a mini-guide to using software to create patterns as well as hand drawn.
on 24 June 2013
A fantastic item if you are getting to know about fabrics. Love this book
Also a very good price thanks
on 27 August 2013
It's ok; not particularly inspiring and the photos aren't terrific. It's too technical for me as I was after ideas more than anything. There are better books out there for inspiration.
on 24 November 2013
I purchased this book to help me create my designs. It has a wealth of information that has helped me and still helping me. Very good buy!
on 13 July 2016
As someone who has studied fashion design and wants to expand their knowledge of surface design I've found this book incredible useful.
It's answered all my questions on how to produce fabric designs at a professional level, and gives great advise on designing for profit or as a career.
If you're a beginner and want to design prints for yourself I would say this is still a great book for you, as it explains terminology in depth and covers pretty much everything!