on 21 January 2010
OK, ok, I will be the first to admit that I am no Guitar expert.
I recently bought this book, after buying my first Telecaster.
I wanted something that would give me some background on the Telecaster, plus a few technical details.
What I got was a really interesting book full of great pictures, useful owners tips, and lots of case studies into the many different types of Telecaster.
The book also go's into the stories behind lots of famous Telecaster players.
This book is a technical manual, but it's also a very interesting read about a great subject.
In fact, I have since bought the Stratocaster , and Les Paul manuals by the same author, and I don't own either of these.
These are a great read too!
If you love classic Guitars, treat yourself and buy these books!
on 27 July 2012
I am an experienced guitarist of many years but have never owned a Telecaster. I have been trying various models regularly since May and have asked many many questions in the various large Fender outlets within a forty mile radius of my home. I have read the book from cover to cover today and have learned more about Telecasters in one day than I have in the previous two months.
If you intend to buy, maintain or set up your Telecaster, this is a must have book. Full of vital and interesting facts and worth every penny. Congratulations to Paul Balmer who has managed to put together a fantastic book. Perhaps Paul you could update the book so that a person about to buy a Telecaster would have up to date information.eg. info about the Mexican Standard Telecaster. To a non fender purchaser, buying a Telecaster is a nightmare! Congratulations on a brilliant book.
on 5 March 2010
An excellent book. Full of technical tips for maintaining and buying a telecaster. The detail is easy to follow and covers a wide range of telecaster models. Even if you are not thinking of picking up a screwdriver the book is an interesting read.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2012
I have liked and enjoyed guitars for years. I have always loved Fender Telecasters so when I came across this book I thought 'this is the book for me'. It is well presented, colourful and informative. A little repetitive at times but I can see why it's been done this way. It covers a number of different types of Telecaster, even the very cheap Affinity series. Since reading I have bought a cheap Tele squire and modified it successfully following the advice in the book. I now plan to scratch build a Tele! Stew Mac's is a good site by the way and the products they supply are good quality.
on 17 April 2014
After several years of not having any form of guitar I treated myself to a Fender American Special Tele in vintage blonde. I've long lusted after a decent guitar having had a variety of cheap Squires with badly crackling pots and a bent neck. I thought long and hard about choosing which Tele to go for, did a lot of research and Paul Balmer's book was invaluable, it provided a brilliant summation of how different models in the different ranges compare.

So this book provides sound purchasing advice, considered setup and maintenance guidance, a definitive history of the guitar, the model ranges and includes potted histories of many famous Telemasters. All of which is accompanied by detailed, large colour photographs and clear concise instruction and comment.

I've used the book to check my intonation, it was fine, and if I ever need to attempt anything more adventurous, I'll be able to make an informed decision as to whether I should attempt the work or pass it on to a professional.

If you have a Tele or are thinking of buying one, this is a fantastic, fun and informative resource! The Tele bible for sure.
on 9 October 2014
All the information, more or less, is available online at various places - with the exception of the owners tips and little side-stories that make this book a good read - I read it in bed at night, instead of my latest Kindle horror story :)
It's not really in the same vein as a Haynes auto manual - the kind I used to need to have to keep every car I ever owned on the road when I was young and poor, but is well-laid out. The history I already knew, the models I already knew, most of the players I already knew. What I wanted was a single reference point for set-up. I've setup my guitars in the past many times - turns out I've been doing it wrong in some cases. This book taught me a better way and my MIM Vintage Tele sounds awesome now that the slightly sharp B is flattened due to correct setup. I hadn't even realised it was sharp, but it certainly was.
I then used that knowledge gained to build my own "Partscaster" which turned out quite playable and only cost in the region of £120. It's not a Fender, of course, but I'd challenge it to a duel with a Squier, and it would win - thanks to the knowledge in this book.

Would make a great present to anyone with a Tele-maniac in the family
on 1 June 2016
These are great books.I've already had the gibson book so i had to get these other iconic guitars books as well.The only problem is that the Telecaster book was supposed to be hardcover as it was written in the product details but it came as a paper back book.That was a disappointing moment...
on 9 February 2015
If you own an electric guitar and play at home, in a pub or are in a rock band, you need this invaluable and well detailed book. I bought the Stratocaster manual in a shop last week and then after that excellent book I could hardly wait to get my hands on the Tele manual as I have, and love both of these Fender classic guitars. This book clearly shows you how to set up, tune and get the most out of your Tele with regular maintenance and tips on hardware and necks. It's all here. Don't be afraid to dive in, it may even save you taking your axe to a guitar shop and paying out to get a minor problem fixed. These manuals are a great way to get into guitar repair and if you love your axe, then you'll absolutely love this book for helping you discover what is in it's heart and soul. Well worth every single penny and a book you will never want to part with!
on 30 December 2013
Typical Haynes manual, well written and easy to understand, with plenty of very good Illustrations, Ideal for anybody who wishes to repair, build, maintain, buy or even just read about it's history and some of the famous users of the Telecaster.

A really good buy, once again the supply was prompt and the service excellent.
on 8 March 2010
Like other Haynes repair Manuals, this is a must, if you are maintaining your Tele. It tells you in an easy way, how to do things, and you a little story behind the instrument.

I have used Haynes Manuals as a guide to repair my cars, so I was happy to see, that they could make books to other hobbies.

If you like your Fender instruments, go buy the books.