- Paperback: 328 pages
- Publisher: The British Library Publishing Division; Reprint edition (4 Oct. 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0712358781
- ISBN-13: 978-0712358781
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 2.5 x 19 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 774,576 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Female Detective: The Original Lady Detective, 1864 Paperback – 4 Oct 2012
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The stories have a distinctly Victorian flavour that gives them charm ... Miss Gladden is a remarkable woman. --Past Offences
About the Author
Andrew Forrester is the pseudonym of James Redding Ware (1832 - c.1909). During his early career he wrote a number of detective stories, The Female Detective being the first. Others included Secret Service, or, Recollections of a City Detective (1864), The Private Detective and Revelations of the Private Detective (both c.1868). He also wrote a story called 'A Child Found Dead: Murder or No Murder?', an analysis of the Constance Kent murder case described in the best-selling The Suspicions of Mr Whicher (Kate Summerscale, 2010).