on 19 June 2017
This is an interesting book and quite an eye opener as to food at that time. Nowadays we tend to think that we invented a lot of foods, eg. Foods with different kinds of beans, salads with red and green peppers ....but many are all here in one form or another. Despite rationing, the recipes are amazing ... Baked steak and potatoes, brisket of beef, lamb fillets... How expensive these foods are today. I am looking for eggless cake recipes and eggless dishes in general. and wartime cook books are a great source of good recipes.
on 26 October 2011
I've had the Preserves book of M Patten for years - I bought it by chance without knowing who she was and it was been my preserves bible. I watched a program on BBC about her work in WW2 and so I decides to buy her book. Full of recipes - hopefully things will not get so bad in my lifetime that I will have to use them on a regular basis. Interestingly though, eating like that in WW2 actually improved the health of the nation! The only regret I have is that I bought the version that has a comment by Jamie Oliver on the cover. I just don't rate him at all and I felt it was inappropriate to try to add weight to Patten's book by someone who has not made nearly as big a contribution as her. I just need to find a good sticker to cover it up!
on 1 August 2014
MAINLY FOR HISTORICAL READING, SOME GOOD RECIPES .
on 20 September 2009
This book has some really great recipes for comforting home-cooked food that reminds me of the food my Grandma makes! It has a good variety with clear instructions and authentic illustrations, and there are so many recipes I can't remember them all!

There are some interesting facts about rationing and the great skills this encouraged, such as thrift and making sure nothing is thrown away, very helpful on a practical level now as it was then. I love to cook good food, but am shocked by how much the ingredients cost for some recipes, not an issue I have had with Feeding the Nation! As you would expect from the theme of the book, the food is accessible for even those on the tightest budgets.

I got this book beause I thought it would be interesting to read, but I am really impressed by the recipes too. From lentil soup and corned beef hash to carrot biscuits and sponge pudding made with potatoes, there is definitely something to try!
on 12 August 2011
This book is worth every single penny and should be included in the national school curriculum.The ammount of food that is wasted every day in this country is scandalous, this book takes a classic approach to cooking sensible everyday meals with little or no waste with very limited ingredients.A must have, especially these days when food is increasing in price on a daily basis.
on 2 January 2011
This was bought for my Mother as a Christmas present and she loved it. She's almost 80 and loves to look back onto the books and times when she was younger and anything linked to the Second World War is going to be looked on as a favourite.
It arrived on time and was appreciated, so would buy from this range again.
on 29 May 2012
I am currently interested in the corrilation of peoples health during the war years, their diet compared with today. Now most of us are over weight, suffer from more allagies than ever before and yet our food should be full of goodness becuase we have the sceince to grow correctly?

This book is brilliant, it gives good wholesome receipes and their cheaper than processed. food.

Brilliant start. Though if a re-print is done it would be usefull to have some pictures showing you what the meal is meant to llok like? Sometimes Im not sure if mine has turned out as it should.
on 20 June 2010
I am very pleased with the easy recipes in this book that bring back lots of memories. It also has lots of interesting facts about life in this time.
on 8 May 2011
Book in very good condition. Quick posting (a little expensive as no combined postage offered). Will use seller again.
Very usefull book. Well written.
on 26 November 2013
Interesting book,useful recipes low in fat so great for anyone dieting. Made me wonder how people survived, compared to today's luxuries any today's wastage