on 20 January 2014
Currently only available on the amazon.uk site.I can barely wait until it gets to the united states as that's where I am. I recieved this as a gift. It is a fantastic read. It combines both history of the irish and the food, and the food even though it shows you the history of it's origins is updated for modern tastes. Being a fan of both Irish history , and also having Irish roots, so many things just cross across the lines as an american, I cried reading this book, and yet thoroughly enjoyed this book, I hope to someday visit the land of my ancestors. In short if you love Ireland and our history and love irish food, I suggest you get this book.He gives a great history of Derry,which is what our ancestors called part of Ulster, now Northern Ireland. Chef Emmett McCourt has done a brilliant book one to savor over time.I loved this book, I hope you do too!
on 19 September 2014
Emmett, I'm just back from a wonderful journey and I haven't even left the comfort of my chair, My wife Jennifer purchased your book for me at the recent Birr Game Fair, I must congratulate you on a wonderful publication. I love the stories, the history, the sad stories of hardship but also of endurance, persistence and ultimate success, but most of all I love your truly Irish recipes, they taste so much better when you know the history involved...... my favourite which is probably the simplest is the recipe for Boxty with a runny egg on top. Also by the way I have three litres of sloe Gin doing its stuff in my hotpress. Thank you so so much for taking the time to research and write this masterpiece, It is truly a credit to you, Feast Or Famine has quite rightly earned a coveted place among my most cherished cook books in my kitchen..... take a very big bow.
on 8 January 2014
This book is now what you would expect it to be. If you think this is going to be yet another cook book full of just recipes that are near impossible to make in your own home kitchen think again. It is not just a cook book, but a cultural journey of the North West of Ireland. This book is packed full of history about the food in Ireland from Colmcille through the famine and the Vikings right up to the modern day, detailing how the Irish and Irish Food culture influenced the world, it also includes old heritage recipes which have been modernized for todays typical family. Makes great reading and full of stories, both historical and personal to the author, this book is one of a kind and I would highly recommend for anyone, not just budding historians or cooking enthusiasts.
on 18 January 2014
A wonderful balance of anecdotes, recipes and local history. It brought back many memories not least of the wonderful Indian meal bread my granny used make.