Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 1 May 2014
This saga is a real page turner and really should be in a different category. It is sci fi certainly but the depth of the plot, the twists and turns and the complexity of the characters make it much more than that, it has real literary merit. I think this guy will go places.

As a first book this is real first class SF, and as the series continues, the characters mature and become more complex, the technology is dazzling. I guarantee that you will want to read book two and three, all of which I read as soon as they came out and the story rises to a tremendous climax with some intriguing politics and emotions on top of the evolving science and technology.

Stephen Moss is a welcome addition to the top echelons of science fiction writers.
on 29 June 2014
Found it promoted on Facebook suggesting it was as good as some other authors... Hmmm... During reading Ian M Banks' last book I wasn't sure. However for a few quid as a kindle purchase I thought I would give it a go...
Although it suffers a little from being too explanatory at the start (eg the use of brand names to engage the reader), and some of the world agencies seem to have little or no processes and security in place, it is actually a very enjoyable read.

The timeline the story takes place is around the present and (taking my comments above) relatively believable it could happen. A good narrative keeps the story going and with a few minor twists (but no real cliffhangers) it keeps you coming back for more. Good to see this is the first of a trilogy telling the story as there is lots more to say from Stephen.

Keep up the good work Stephen (and if you want a poof reader for your next works to remove the typos and occasional incorrect words, happy to oblige!)...
on 8 July 2014
This really was fantastic, intelligent but far from perfect well developed aliens (to be honest a little more developed than some of the human characters). A nice balance between plot and just blowing things up.

Looking forward to the next book but a small warning to the author. The first book stays on the right side of American jingoism (ie it doesnt dominate it) but it could easily turn into an 'all American heroes' save the world in future books. Please could you try to cover how the whole world reacts, whether it unites or tears itself apart (realistically following on from the 1st book the world is more likely to blow itself up long before it has to worry about aliens)
on 14 May 2014
Mr Stephen Moss has written an engrossing tale that builds slowly, but surely - when the action kicks in it kicks in hard and fast. This tale ends with a Bang. Good stuff all round.
Will be purchasing the next when it appears.
on 26 August 2014
I very rarely review and far too often reviews are made up which really annoys me but occasionally there are gems out there to be read. I would have liked to give this a four and a half as a four is graded as I liked it, well I really liked it, but not quite loved it. I am now frustratingly waiting for the sequel. This is a well thought out plot with depth and a degree of complexity and a lot of thought with the science. Far to often in too many Sci-fi books I see too much co-incidence and its just lazy authors that want an easy solution to a story. This story really kept me hooked not knowing where the plot was going, and I finished the book within a few days, loved the idea of the Agents and their personalities and look forward to seeing how Lana Wilson (princess) gets on. I am a fan of British SF and Stephen Moss has the potential to be up there with the likes of Dan Worth, Peter F Hamilton and Neal Hamilton. This sequel now sits in my must get list alongside greats like George R R Martin.
on 27 April 2016
If there's one thing I hate in SF, it's overwhelmingly advanced and powerful alien invaders that are then defeated by a ridiculous deus ex machina; the movie "Independence Day" sums this up nicely. Here Moss has struck a nice balance; the aliens are more advanced than us in many ways, but they have logical and believable vulnerabilities that enable the human heroes to fight back in a realistic fashion. If that were all I had to say, this review would have 5 stars.

Unfortunately, it loses a couple of stars for three reasons. Firstly (and this probably applies only to the Kindle edition) the formatting is poor. Each paragraph is separated from the next by a blank line, with the first line not indented. When reading this tends to make it look like each new paragraph is a break in the narrative and this interrupts the flow.

Secondly, as noted by other reviewers, there really are too many spelling/grammar errors and more than one factual error. Many, perhaps all, of the spelling errors are possible automatic corrections, e.g. "site" instead of "sight", "loosing" instead of "losing", "passed" instead of "past", but regardless of their origin, they really should have been picked up in a single thorough read-through. Factual errors, such as thinking Hammersmith is anywhere near the M5, are equally inexcusable when checking a map is so simple.

Finally, for the narrative, it does get a little bogged down in the details around the middle. Moss has spent a lot of time and effort describing the wheres and the hows of the human defence plans, but I'm not sure we needed the level of detail provided. Much of this narrative, were this to be made as a movie, would end up on the cutting-room floor, if it ever made it to the script.

Overall it's a great first novel, and I'm happy to start the next in the series, hoping that Moss has secured the services of a proof-reader for that volume...
on 25 June 2014
This is one of the best SF novels I've read in quite a while. Whilst the broad plot is nothing new (alien invasion of Earth) the twists and turns it encompasses are laid out with precision, relevance and no small degree of suspense. Stephen's book skilfully combines some exceedingly well thought through science with believable fiction. Character development was pretty good too, although the logical, machine oriented minds of the alien race did tend to acquire a few less than rational characteristics as the story developed. But without that tiny flaw, the human race would surely have been doomed. It's quite a long book but there are no barren patches along the way in the sense that some novels seem to struggle for direction mid way. A real page turner amongst the genre, and I can't wait for the sequel. Nice one Mr Moss !
on 22 May 2014
A very good read with stunning imagery. The detail is well presented and the action is gripping. Looking forward to the next book, film or TV series and game app.
on 16 December 2014
This was the best book that I have read in ages, one you cannot put down. It got off to a slow start but the tension gradually built up until the last chapters when it got almost unbearably tense. The character were believable, both the aliens and humans and the fact that you really got involved with them and what they were all doing was fantastic. I look forward to reading the next episode in this series.
on 7 November 2014
A fairly good read which passed the time - not much better than that really.

I wasn't sure if I could be bothered to read the second book, but I did, and I'm really glad I did. The second book was fast paced, disturbing in places - at one point causing me to literally break out in a cold sweat on the train, and so very sci-fi with lots of great technology and original ideas.

The first book didn't really have much of the above, but it certainly wasn't bad. Editing is poor in both books, which distracted me from the story only slightly.

I'm looking forward to more from this author, and I'm really looking forward to the third book.