on 4 December 2017
Brilliant
on 29 November 2017
Great record
on 16 March 2017
Superb album. Florescent Adolescent is stuck in my brain. Be careful, it will stick in yours too.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 April 2015
The Arctic Monkeys' first album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not immediately blew me away, and it's still an old faithful that is guaranteed to draw me in and lift me up. When I reviewed it, I said that I loved it on first listen, which I did, and that it sounded so polished that you would think that the Monkeys had been established for years.

The band's second album, 2007's 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' did admitingly take me longer to get into, I was first under the initial impression that it was fun enough, but not a patch on the first. However, after a few more listens, I was hooked, and even though I still wouldn't consider it as a better release, I do really enjoy it. My advice is to listen to it a few times through before you make your final verdict.

'Favourite Worst Nightmare' spawned three big hits, the most notable is the outstanding 'Fluorescent Adolescent', which has become something an indie-anthem. This catchy tune is the story of a woman who is basically 'growing up', and is now looking back at a relationship and the good times they had. Other great songs include 'D Is for Dangerous', the Punk-influenced 'Teddy Picker', and the energetic 'Brianstorm', which just missed the top spot of the UK singles chart.

Alex Turner is one of my favourites, the man sure knows how to write a good tune, and his voice is instantly recognisable. This album from one of the best modern rock bands of the past ten years is a solid album, full of relatable British lyrics, amazing guitar riffs, and an energetic, mainstream indie sound. It just gets better with each listen, trust me.

PS: Isn't the album's cover just awesome?
on 17 April 2007
This is one addictive listen. I haven't repeat listened to anything so much in years (not even their first album, and that is saying something)
This album is a huge step forward that I'll bet alot of people didn't expect from the band. Far from cracking under the pressure the Arctic Monkeys have delivered one heck of a strong album, an effort to be proud of.

Songs like 'Teddy Picker,' and 'Balaclava,' give listeners what they've came to expect from the band, with jaunty riffs, brash chords and their unique brand of lyrical genius (fans will know what I mean)
And songs like 'Only Ones Who Know,' display a melancholy ballad-ry like 'No Buses,' or 'Riot Van.'

A special mention is also in order for drummer Matt Helders who's skill has improved exponentially, impressive considering most people would already say he's the most talented member. The fills on this record are awesome, and his technical disco meets rock swagger style fits the album very well.

The stand out songs are the energetic 'This House is a Circus,' the chilled out '505,' and the aforementioned 'Teddy Picker.'

Buy this right now, you won't hear a better album this year; its basically still the Arctic Monkeys sound, but executed and produced much better, a mature and professional version of the raw and lovable debut.
on 29 September 2017
Very good. Enjoyed immensely
on 23 April 2017
Bought for my 15 year old niece. She loves it.
VINE VOICEon 7 March 2008
The Arctic Monkey's second album is good, but it doesn't quite reach the dizzy heights of their debut. This isn't for lack of good songs - in my opinion, it's because the album doesn't provide as much variance, or as many hooks. Whereas with the first listen to Whatever People Say I Am... leads 70% of the songs on the album instantly sinking into your memory, a first listen to Favourite Worst Nightmare leads to great impressions of only a handful of tracks.

For me, those few tracks were: Flourescent Adolescent - possibly the best song they've ever released, it contains an immensely catchy melody, a great riff, and a soaring chorus; this will be a part of the live set for a long time. Teddy Picker, another single, has a great chorus in a different way - banging away with an incessent rhythm. And 505, the closer, is a wonderful low-tempo effort, more haunting than anything else Arctic Monkeys have produced.

The rest of the tracks certainly grow with every listen, and the album of a whole is really good. Indeed, the only reason this review has the slightest hint of criticism is because my favourite tracks from their initial release were Mardy Bum, A Certain Romance and When The Sun Goes Down, whereas the majority of the tracks here seem more influenced by ... Dancefloor.

Overall, this album is well worth picking up
on 10 March 2016
An absolute cracker. Gets you underway with the headbanger Brianstorm and ends up with mellow 505. In between is a rollercoaster ride fast and slow tempo beats with impeccable lyrics by Turner. A must have.
on 17 November 2016