on 10 September 2014
Others have criticised this book for some of the spelling I find this harsh I've read e books with far worse. Also criticism for over descriptive again very harsh as descriptions were short and succinct not drawn out superfluous analogies. Loved the book a great read great story couldn't put it down . I have downloaded the free sequel and paid for the third book. Critics well a great story is the essence of writing not the crossed t and dotted i
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 September 2014
Si Fi is not something I normally read. I confess that I only got it as a freebie to read on holiday.
I visualised this with my limited knowledge of space Si Fi and turned it into an episode of Star Trek. This worked for me.
The early stages of the alien take over is a good spine chiller and rattles along at a good pace.
The end of course is the predictable shoot out. But how else could you end it?
Have the bad guys win and you don't have much room for a sequel.
As for the typos and errors that others have highlighted. I didn't really notice them.
I read books to enjoy them not to mark as an exam piece.
on 23 June 2017
A brilliant, classic Sci-Fi tale! In this terrific space adventure E.R. Mason takes us straight into the action, with the hero, Adrian Tarn, already mid-mission on board a starship in deep space. The writing is balanced and fluid - neither too detailed nor too brief - and the story has a momentum of its own that carries the reader along for the ride. The characters are colourful and completely believable, and the story unfolds bit by bit, with plenty of twists and turns, and just the right pace. The reader is always well-informed without the plot being ruined by being too obvious. The action is exciting whilst always grounded in a believable realism that adds a real feeling of authenticity - it's easy to imagine these events being played out as the author describes. A very enjoyable and satisfying read. This was the second book I've read by E.R. Mason, and I look forward to reading more. Highly recommended!
on 31 October 2015
These books should carry a warning like 'beware addiction may occur' I downloaded this book and was instantly in the 'unputdownable' department. So much so that I have downlioaded another two in the same series, Loved the 2nd book that turned out to be the first in the series, sad that I prefer to read in order but I didn't read that it was the 1st or 2nd book, either way a lot was explained. Loved the general feeling of being there. Someone mentioned spelling, well one or two glitches but there are some a whole lot worse and what we have to remember is the spellcheck doesn't always root them out and after a while the eye doesn't see them anyway. after so much proof reading. It didn't spoil anything for me the story was riveting and feasible. Dark crossing, In parts it made me chuckle so at the beginning I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be funny. I soon found out that it was very serious. Wow is a useful word to describe how I see the work of this writer. Beyond is another but beyond what you might ask. Well, beyond wow and amazing for me. Loved it, loved Deep Crossing and I am now going to read Shock Diamonds and Dark Vengeance. Love the characters but I can't hang about here I've got books to read. ;-)
on 27 November 2014
For me the worst thing about this book is the front cover and as I have a kindle I don't get to see that very often. As others have written there are a few grammar mistakes but these are few and not normally jarring. I've known print books to have more.

As for the story itself we have all the makings of a good sf novel. An abandoned spaceship that is found on the way to an otherwise simple mapping expedition proves perplexing and when people have memory loss and things start to go wrong it's the job of the security officer to solve the mysteries before everyone dies.

This has good characterisation, proper science, a decent plot and believable technologies. I've bought the next book.
on 20 September 2014
I have never read a sci fi book before and never thought I would. I had no idea what it was about and I actually got it cos it was
free, but found myself very involved with the characters and the story. The narrator and main character had a really good sense of humour which helped to keep the balance of what was otherwise a very serious plot. The idea of aliens boarding a space ship must seem very far fetched, but when it actually happens the crew cope with it very well and don't seem to panic too much.
The words flowed though I could have done without all the technical jargon which meant nothing to me and I found myself skipping through this to get to the other side, of how they were going to get out of the mess they were in. Not my favourite book, but a good read and food for thought. Not sure if I will attempt another sci fi but you never know.
on 11 June 2016
I'm not a fan of stories written from the 1st person perspective as it means you know that the main character will always survive, but this story held me and had some interesting twists and nice characterisations to keep me engrossed. I'm pretty sure I've come across a similar plot-line and I had hoped it would develop into something more, but the author handled the storyline well well. A few misspells and typos but well written and engaging.
on 9 May 2016
The story moves along at a pace. It is not genre defining but not bad. A previous reviewer suggested that it could do with editing, and as an ex-proofreader this grated with me. It is not as bad as some though.

It lost a point as it is not a book you might read over a couple of days. I got a little bored a couple of times but went back to it, and I'm glad I did.

I bought his second book, so this one must be pretty good.
on 14 December 2015
The story has a very different feel to it than the normal space stories I've read in so far as it kept me guessing as to what the outcome would be. Good characters as well, the main character being one of those that you can relate to easily. The only thing I would have liked is the story to be a little more in depth, mainly that as you get to understand what is actually happening aboard ship it seems to race to its conclusion a bit rapidly, hence only four stars.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2017
Aliens with an infusion of the Morlocks from The Time Machine. I really liked this book that utilised aspects of Alien without being too derivative. icely written and a real addictive read. Higtly recommended for sci fi horror buffs