Fashion. A History from the 18th to the 20th century Hardcover – 8 Sep 2006
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Akiko Fukai (Chief Curator of The Kyoto Costume Institute), Tamami Suoh (Curator of The Kyoto Costume Institute), Miki Iwagami (Lecturer of fashion history at Sugino Fashion College (Tokyo)), Reiko Koga (Professor of fashion history at Bunka Women's University), and Rie Nii (Assistant Curator of The Kyoto Costume Institute).
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Apart from several photographs regarding men's 18th Century fashion in the first volume, there is NOTHING on men's fashion whatsoever. As for the second volume, zero! No pictures at all regarding men's fashion throughout the whole of the 20th Century. A serious omission, even more so if you deal in men's clothing from the 1920's onwards.
I'm so disappointed with this that I'm sending it back two hours after receiving it.
PS: If you're interest is strictly in women's clothing, this book has some stunning pictures.
They definitely look very nice! Recommend to anybody who loves fashion and like reading about it!
This is amongst the best visual references for historical fashion. Every garment is exquisitely photographed in exceptional detail, notes on the maker are brief but useful. Both books are of general high quality, they are hard-core big, heavy bulky things (bargain for the price!). The book covering 20th century fashion is a little larger than the first book, which is useful for anyone studying fashion are higher education. Overall, you will find yourself dipping in and out of them at leisure or when in need of research.
The only drawback to the books is they showcase very expensive, upper-class clothing. I am interested in costume design and like to have a range of clothing from a specific period, even so, these are great reference books.
Overall I highly recommend buying them, especially at this ridiculously cheap price.
The reason that I have given this only four stars however is the diference between the volumes. The 20th century one is much more in depth and offers more detail in the photographs than the 18th-20th century volume does. This is not to say there are less garments, but they are photographed in groups meaning that they are further away and so less easy to see detail on. If this would not be of bother however both books are stunning. My whole house spent a couple of hours going through them when I first recieved them and they are doing mainly politics degrees rather than fashion so I believe anybody can find an interest.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you are interested in costume in any capacity ,this is quite wonderful
I imagine it would be very useful for professionals in this area , I just thought it both informative... Read more
This was ordered so long ago, and for my granddaughter. She loved it.Published on 12 July 2014 by J. C. CRONIN
A comprehensive book about the history of fashion from the 18th to 20th century, Very good pictures from original clothing and fashion illustrations from the respective era.Published on 21 Mar. 2014 by Veeli Oeselg
Commentary about fashion period very clear for everyone.
Mostly photagraphs of costumes, really inspiring and beautiful. Read more
These two weighty volumes are one of the best historic costume references I have come across - full of highly detailed photographs. Read morePublished on 3 Jan. 2013 by Nicola Reeve
I bought this book as a gift for a friend, who has studied fashion, she absolutely loves it! Perfect condition! Thank you :)Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by Sandwich13
I purchased this book and it arrived in perfect condition and on time. I was, and am more than happy with the product itself and I would most definitely buy from this seller... Read morePublished on 24 Sept. 2012 by Pan
These books are beautifully illustrated with dressed manequines (specially designed by the Institute), fragments of cloth, accessories and painting from the periods represented and... Read morePublished on 10 Nov. 2011 by J. H. Chapple
Great value. Two large hardback volumes which I devoured in 2 evenings. Amazing photos. Just enough text to hold your interest. Very pleased.Published on 11 Sept. 2011 by CinnamonPhoenix
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Fashion
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Fashion Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Guggenheim
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Hermitage
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Louvre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Musee D'Orsay
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Museum of Modern Art (NY)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery (UK)
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Pompidou Centre
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Prado
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Tate Modern & Tate Gallery
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Uffizi
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Museums & Collections > Whitney Museum of American Art
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Print & Decorative Arts > Textiles
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies