on 9 August 2008
I bought this for my 18 month old after having a play in a bookshop and she really loves it! It is a big chunky book and on every third page there is a different track on which you set a little wind up train off to race around it. It works amazingly well! Each track is nicely illustrated with lots of interesting things to point at along the way. There are 3 tracks in total. I haven't even read her the interspersed stories yet as she only wants me to set the train off over and over again! I suspect that eventually the train will break or get lost but I think we have already had our moneys worth! Great fun!
on 19 February 2009
I bought this for my niece (4) and nephew (2) for Christmas and from the moment it was opened they were captured by it. They loved the fact the train went around the track and you could change the route by moving the dials in the book. They also have some of the other stories by this author so the characters tie in with others they are familiar with. Will be getting the tractor version for them on the next gift occasion I have!
on 7 January 2013
When my granddaughter was small, she had something similar to this except it was just a single track. She always had lots of laughs and even when she was about 9 years old, she would still bring it out from her toy box at my house. We had acquired another little train so she, and grandad, would put both on the track and wait for them to crash. I couldn't wait to find a similar book for my friend's grandson who is nearly 3. He likes it too and the fact that it has 3 tracks (one including a "switch points" dial) it is probably be enjoyed by him for many years.
The book is colourful, sturdy and has a story to each track.
on 11 February 2009
Bought this for my nephew as he loves trains and books, so couldn't go wrong. Would recommend for any child, as there is lots to talk about on each page.
on 11 August 2011
A great idea for the book, but not without issues.

As has been mentioned you have to go to some lengths to get the book to lay flat so that the train will run between the pages. The train, although still operational, rapidly runs out of "wind", so my boy mostly resorts to just pushing it around the page which he seems to like.

We haven't got as much use or enjoyment from this as I'd expected, but overall it's a good idea for a book - just could have been implemented a little better.
on 25 September 2009
The book itself is beautifully made and was a real hit with my chum's train-loving three year old son. However, within two days the wind-up train had stopped working. I'd actually bought this book in Waterstones and found that train was already broken when I tried it so I'd taken it back to the shop and, as they had no more in stock, purchased another one on Amazon. It seems that a feeble wind-up mechanism is common to this product - one would think they would make something aimed at children a little more robust!
on 5 January 2012
I bought this book for my 2 and a half year old grandaughter and I have enjoyed playing with it. The little train runs around a track on each of the story pages through a landscape which varies with each story e.g. beach trip or countryside. The train is wind up so no batteries to run down. The book should be on a flat surface or the train can run off its tracks but I can find no other fault with it. Much better price than instore too.
on 15 November 2012
We first saw this book in a bookshop - but decided to wait until we could shop around and are we glad we waited until we could see what Amazon could offer. Amazingly it was two-thirds the price and delivered free. The book will be a Christmas present - an ideal combination of words and wind-up toy for a little man who loves trains.
on 2 March 2013
Got this for my son, loves trains, the train broke after 3 goes (this may have been due to my son winding it up to much) only three tracks anyway, the pages began to rip if not put on a flat surface (such as a lap)

Get a small (brio or such like) train set and make up your own tracks and stories
on 20 October 2009
I bought this book for my Grandson and now wish I had read other customer reviews more carefully. The disappointment when the winding mechanism on the train broke after a couple of days was made a lot worse because my grandson loved the book so much.
Why aren't replacement trains available?