on 14 March 2013
I'll admit I was a little curious when I bought this collection for my 4yr old, he loves books and loves to be read to, don't get me wrong, that is a wonderful thing, not so good when mummy is driving though so into the world of audio books we go, and boy does he love them.

I will say these stories are just the right length to hold his attention and being a dramatisation rather than an audio book they are perfect. Yes the stories are dated along with concepts that girls adopt female typecast roles and boys are dominant and brave but it doesn't matter, they are well read and will improve his vocabulary and grammer and I can see me reading them to him at bedtime soon and a little later, he may even be reading them himself, after all it's the sense of adventure that is still wanted in the 21st century too.

Even I have listened to these alone on my lunch hour at work and usually end up being joined by a colleague or 2. There is just something comforting about being read to at any age.
on 15 May 2009
Audio tapes have been a fantastic way of introducing my children to my favorite childhood author - there are 21 story books available in the main series. This audio cassette however is a collection of small mini-stories. Personally I think it better to listen to the tapes/cds of the full stories first to get used to the five, their adventures and personalities before delving into these little bite sized tales. Also, the illustration on the cover is the one for 'Five run away together' which is NOT on this audio tape. Having said all that, FAMOUS FIVE is wonderfully addictive listening/reading for my five year old and eight year old together, I recommend them.
The stories are: Five Have a Puzzling time; When Timmy Chased the Cat; George's Hair is Too Long; Good Old Timmy; A Lazy Afternoon; Well Done, Famous Five!; Five and a Half-term Adventure; and Happy Christmas, Famous Five.
on 14 July 2014
I would highly recommend purchasing this cd. We use it to play all night for my little grandson. The voices are soft with no sudden noises and aid a peaceful night. The stories are told in a retro style which brings added charm for the little ones
on 6 October 2008
The stories are as good as the "normal" Famous Five audio CDs, but a word of caution. The actors who read the parts of the five (except Timmy of course), and mother, aren't the same as the other Hodder CDs. Not that it detracts from the stories (and the voices are indeed very close), but small children can be confused as to why the "Five" aren't the same people.
on 5 January 2010
Great for car journeys with children. Fairly close to the book. Not sure how easy it would be for younger children to follow if they haven't read the book before listening.
on 14 April 2016
Oh my joy, my little girl has got into The Famous Five, something I loved in my youth and these are great, I just love the old fashioned plummy voices and the fact that they havnt updated the language. Lots of "scrummy ginger beer" and "I say old girl" and bad guys who are "the wrong looking sort". Love it love it love it. Kids who like a ripping yarn will love it.
on 19 June 2014
My kids (8 & 6) LOVE these stories. They are extremely old fashioned but sweet ... So may not be for all. The voices are very old school BBC hence the 4 stars - possibly not for all!
on 26 January 2015
My 6-year-old son went mad for this audio book. I may have to stage a Famous Five intervention -- all he wants to do is sit in his room and listen to this for hours on end. The surprise hit of Christmas.
on 18 January 2015
Very boring narrative and we have therefore barely listened to it. My boy has really enjoyed the Roald Dahl audio books but these were unbearable. Will read the books eventually but this has put me off. What a shame