on 13 January 2016
Just what I needed - shame it's not going to be available post 2015
on 12 December 2015
I do like this software however, ancestry are retiring this software which is something all customers should be aware of before purchasing.

The following email was sent to FTM users on 8th Dec 2015:

Dear Family Tree Maker™ community,

Ancestry is proud to have made a significant investment this year to bring valuable new content and records to the Ancestry site. In 2015, we’ve made 220 million searchable historical records from Mexico available, more than 170 million pages from the largest collection of U.S. will and probate records, among others. We’ve also introduced new features such as Ancestry Academy, and major advancements for AncestryDNA.

As we strive to provide our customers with the best experience possible, we are constantly evaluating our services and product offerings. True to this focus, we’ve taken a hard look at the declining desktop software market and the impact this has on being able to continue to provide new content, product enhancements and support that our users need. With that, we’ve made the tough decision to stop selling Family Tree Maker as of December 31, 2015.

We will continue to support existing Family Tree Maker owners at least through January 1, 2017. During this time, all features of the software, including TreeSync™ will continue to work. Our Member Services team will also remain available to assist with questions or issues you may have.

These changes are never easy. But by focusing our efforts, we can concentrate on continuing to build great products for our loyal Ancestry community.

You can find additional details about the retirement of Family Tree Maker on our blog.
on 5 January 2015
Please do not waste your money on this software at present. Since the recent Yosemite update on the Mac this software is now full of bugs and does not work properly. Purchased FTM for Mac V3 only a few months ago with a new iMac computer so gutted it hasn't worked properly since the Yosemite update. Have contacted the software makers several times but they have not resolved the bug problems as yet.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2014
Though I've only just purchased this I''m very pleased so far. I had been using FTM 2006 on a Windows PC but migrated to iMac a couple of years ago ( passing PC onto my wife ) and only now got round to putting my genealogy data onto the mac. Copied all the data from the PC onto a usb stick and imported into FTM Mac v3. Nothing could have been easier. Though the layout is completely new the basic structure remains more or less the same.

I had looked at a couple of alternatives i.e. Reunion but wanted to stay with software I was more or less already familiar with and to enable easy transfer of data.

Recommend this product with as usual, excellent service from Amazon at a competitive price.
on 30 December 2015
DO NOT BUY - I believe this product is currently being mis-sold. It was purchased as a Christmas gift for my mother, and after installing and registering the software we discovered that the software will officially cease retailing on 31 December 2015, and support for it will end the following year. This information should be clearly displayed on the product page. If I had known this at time of purchase, I would not have bought the product. Ancestry are now advertising this on their website http://www.familytreemaker.com/ (they were not advertising this prior to Christmas either!). Given I had already installed and registered the product when finding this out, I doubt it will be possible to return the software. However, at a minimum, I would request the seller update the product page with this information so that other consumers are not mis-sold software which will cease to be produced or supported in the future.
on 17 June 2014
After evidently addressing the previously reported faults, this version for MAC, my first iMAC purchase, has been excellent. I can see the family view, ie. parents and children, under the pedigree tree window too! I used to prefer to work in this mode and this view makes errors more obvious! Great value, but it loaded a GED tree with a step child relationship instead of a natural, for no apparent reason that was obvious to me, out if 4100 people in the tree. If you were starting from scratch, I think that you would enjoy this program too and all its amazing options. As a user of four previous Windows versions of FTM over nine years, I am pleased with my purchase and glad that I stayed loyal to the brand. The free subscription is, yet again, a real bonus, combined, if you need them, with the suggested hints and links to records and others' trees!
on 26 January 2015
Having been initially very disappointed with this version as, despite others suggesting it will work with Yosemite, it failed in exactly the same way as did the earlier version by having limited functionality in that none of the tabs (people, places etc) would open, and also having endless issues trying to import my existing tree either from my computer and on the Ancestry web. Although I upgraded upon the prompt when installing the software, the updated version simply did not work. However after several attempts at reinstalling and trawling through any number of web posts etc all reporting the same issue, I eventually checked for updates one more time this morning and - believe it or not - the latest update (22.2.4.781) now provides full functionality.

Having worked through this rather irritating issue I can now look forward to continuing my family tree and hopefully in a hassle-free way just as I had experienced with v2 until Yosemite came along - and with several improved features to boot!!

So if you have "upgraded" to Yosemite just be aware that this might not work straight out of the box - sadly nowhere is this made particularly clear - hence deducting one star!!
on 15 April 2014
This is so much better than previous editions and the on line sync is useful. Would highly recommend this for all Mac users.
on 16 August 2014
Easy to install. Transferred my tree from Ancestry to my computer with no problems at all. Very easy to use interfaces and I can customise my tree the way I want. Would recommend this software.
on 1 December 2014
After years of happily using successive versions of Family Tree Maker for PCs I have been hugely disappointed with v3 for Macs. The software seems largely unusable for at least older iMacs running 10.6 OS. It is impossibly slow to load searches and frequently hangs. its searches are also inconsistent with the search results obltained from the on-line Ancestry search engine. I have given up and basically only use the on-line Ancestry search engine. It might be better with more recent iMacs but check before you buy.