Customer reviews

on 15 April 2012
I've always shied away from books which appear simply to be compilations of information related to material available on the web; after all, isn't that what Google's for? Plus, of course, there's the issue of inbuilt obsolescence: of all forms of publication, the internet is, it has to be acknowledged, the least permanent.

There is, it's true, some element of obsolescence in this book - and that's inevitable. But it's far outweighed by the high percentage of links which are (and are likely to remain) live. It's all very well bookmarking sites but the fact is that most of us interested in genealogy are more likely to spend our time using the sources and links we have, rather than searching out new ones. Which is where this book comes into its own.

Within a few minutes of opening this book, I found several sites which looked useful; and within an hour, using one of the site addresses provided, I'd located some information which made a useful addition to my records of one grandfather. It may be something of a hackneyed phrase, but the fact is that I'd have paid the price of this book just to have that information. What I've actually got, courtesy of the very thorough and orderly author, is a collection of addresses which I know will be valuable to my work. The sections are introduced by short introductory paragraphs (each is relevant and helpful), and there's evidently been a great deal of effort expended on making sure that, rather than aiming for a 'comprehensive' approach, the book contains the most useful and relevant links.

The book is not, then, simply a collection of links. It is the result of a thorough, and thoroughly good, job of compilation, editing and categorising. The information it contains is easy to find, and the (generally) one-line summaries of each site useful. The author is evidently a man who knows his stuff, and I, for one, am grateful for his efforts.
on 17 February 2012
This is an invaluable book if you are researching your family tree. It lists every website that you have ever heard of, plus absolutely loads that you haven't! They are all split into groups eg adoptions, births, censuses, emigration etc, so it is really easy to use. A good buy.