on 25 October 2010
Over 35 years ago Hunter Davies broke new ground when he was given total access to Tottenham Hotspur for a season and the result was ¨The Glory Game¨, a true classic in football writing.

I have long been waiting for something as good and Michael Calvin has more than come up with the goods with this well written and insightful insider's view of Millwall's promotion season to the Championship.

So authentic that you can smell the sweat and linament, he has got inside every aspect of the club, both on and off the pitch and truly answered a good reporter's key questions - Who, What, Why, Where and When.

This book is a real gem and deserves to do well.
8 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2015
I'm not a fan of Millwall but am a fan of football, I went through this book in no time. The author did get lucky with Millwall having a roller coaster season but even without that he writes so well that you really feel part of their team by the end of it. He really gets into the detail and gets under the skin of players, staff and fans.

Well done Michael Calvin, best football book I've read for a long time!! Also, I shall be keeping an eye out for Millwall, they sound like a very well run club (albeit back in League one again now)
on 7 November 2010
Firstly let me say I am a Millwall fan although some will say 'not real wall' due to my lack of a season tickets and attendance at away games. That said I have been supporting my club since the age of 5 when my grandad took me to my first game at the old Den and do go to as many games as I can each season. Thank god for lions player!

This book shows the real life world of football ouside of the premiership; how 80% of football clubs operate with the sparse resources available to them. It shows that most of our footballers do not earn a years wage in a week and really do care for their fans and club rather than their wage packet. It brings football back down to earth and back home. It follows the management team closly showing us the managers daily fight against injuries, how they manage relationships and the deal with the odd inflated ego as well as playing a father figure or friend.

Its a shame the author isn't around every week to give us the real low down rather than the what the TV want us to see and the papers what they want us to read.

Thoroughly recommend this to any football fan who wants a refreshing real world insight into football today.
One person found this helpful
on 24 December 2015
Almost all my life as a disciple of the football religion, I have disliked Millwall only slightly less than Don Revie's Leeds. Now I know that if I had been born into their geographical area then I would have loved them like no other! It was a splendid account of a year in a fascinating club. Very much enjoyed.
on 18 July 2017
As a Millwall supporter I really enjoyed this book as I remember this season well, it's similarity last season was very noticeable with Neil Harris in the Manager's position instead of being on the field of play as he was then.
on 12 April 2018
Worth a read
on 3 March 2012
A wonderfully written book into the real side a English football (not the nonsense we are made to read and watch in the media).

This is by far one of the best book I have ever read. Couldn't put it down (and I don't like reading!)

Buy it!!

You don't have to be a Millwall supporter to enjoy it
2 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2018
Bought for a friend
on 3 November 2014
Very articulate and interesting view behind the scenes of the trials and tribulations of a Championship/ League team. Particularly good on fleshing out the players individual characters and how fragile the life of a footballer is outside of the Premier League. One of the best football books I have read.
on 18 February 2014
Great read. Loved it. Gets you close to the front line of a football club and what actually goes on further away from the Premiership etc. Great insight into how much work some of the lower division managers do, what clubs do in the background etc etc. Well worth it.