Customer reviews

Fame Academy - Bee Gees Special
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 September 2003
Being a huge Bee Gees fan and owning nearly all their tribute albums, I have to say I have very mixed feelings about this collection. It's great to hear young artists cover classic songs from the last forty years and it's fun to hear new arrangements. However, there isn't much soul or feeling in these renditions. All of them sound like enhanced karaoke. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you listen to cover versions by some of the greats (Al Green, Nina Simone, Michael Bolton, Barbra Streisand), you'll hear the inflection of real emotion and vibrance. I wouldn't steer anyone away from this collection, but I just love the originals too much.
on 6 October 2003
Just what we wanted. Really great listening from the Fame Academy stars. It was the greatest show from beginning to end, and so hard to choose form all the great talent, we pray that it will continue after 2003. There is very little to beat Fame Academy's aspirations and help given to young talent, alongside voters participation. I as a voter have learned a lot from watching Fame Academy, about what is out there, what is needed, and what can be given.... and I am 55 years old!!!
on 1 December 2003
As a huge Bee Gees fan I was instantly drawn if only out of curiosity to this album.
Generally, it's pleasant enough. In parts it is verging on the dire (Got to Get a Message to You by Gary Phelan - soulless and performed by a guy far too young to put in the required depth; Massachussetts by Peter Brame - what's that all about then?) through OK performances (Words by Alex Parks - powerful but monotonous) to the sublime (Guilty by Carolynne Good - flawless and powerful voice; You Should Be Dancing by Paris Campbell-Edwards - the most true to the original but with a modern edge; To Love Somebody by Alistair Griffin - one of the few displays of vocal emotion on this album that gets better as the song progresses and to my ears far superior to the over the top Michael Bolton cover).
All in all, not a bad Bee Gees tribute by group of talented, some very talented, budding artists.
on 1 October 2003
This album is a collection of songs from the 13 students from Fame Academy 2. I am very muych impressed with the students form this years fame academy. my favourites on here are louise (too much heaven), lorna (islands in the stream), audley (you win again)and alistair (to love somebody). my least fave is james with more than a woman. Great album though! Can't wait for DVD release of 2nd series!
on 1 September 2003
As a 16 yr old i havnt really heard any bee gees music but recently finished listening to the fame academy bee gees special and i can honestly say it brilliant. The fame academy students funk up the bee gees tune and you cant stop singing along to them.
The best songs are definatly massachusetts sung by sexy peter and heartbreaker sung by sassy simone.
Well done students!!
on 26 August 2003
Well what can i say? Fame Accademy is back and its better than ever! this is a collection of songs taken from the show one night when once again these young hopefulls tried to gain our vote. I have to say i do have my favourites on here such as Alex's version of words and Nick's version of Tradgedy. If you want my advice get this album you wont be dissapointed i assure you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse