Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing Paperback – 8 Feb 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
′It′s well–written, and with chapters like "Digital cuisine", "Ownership, safety and new legal frontiers" and "A factory in the classroom", the book holds much promise. I put it like that because I haven′t actually read it yet! I′ve literally just started on it, and thought I would take the opportunity to give you the heads–up on it. (ICTinEducation.org, June 2013)
′This engaging book takes the reader on a journey that explores how 3D printing will impact our lives. Fabricated is ideal if you re interested in integrating 3D printing into your work, but are not experts in design software.′ (Design Talks, August 2013)
From the Back Cover
What would you create if you had a machine that could make (almost) anything?
Fabricated offers you practical and imaginative insight into the question, "How will 3D printing change my life?" This book is an informative and fast–paced exploration of 3D printing technologies and the people who use them. You′ll take a journey to design studios, businesses, schools, and cutting–edge research labs. Based on hundreds of hours of interviews, Fabricated explores the promise and peril of a 3D printed present and future.
- Businesses will be liberated from the tyrannies of economies of scale
- Factories and global supply chains will shrink, finding themselves closer to their customers
- The law, already reeling from digital media, will once again need to be redefined
- Our environment might breathe easier in a 3D printed economy, or it could choke on a rising tide of plastic
- 3D printed digital and intelligent, adaptive materials will change our relationship with the physical world
If you′re intrigued with new technology, business strategy, popular science, or the social impact of technology, Fabricated will fascinate you.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Somehow I combined reading "Fabricated the New World of 3D Printing" together with Christopher Barnatt's "3D Printing - The Next Industrial Revolution". To my astonishment each book, published in 2013, cross referenced the other.
The authors of "Fabricated the New World of 3D Printing" point out that there are barriers to progress: the 3D printing technology has advanced way beyond what the supporting technology can deliver.
- the file format used to represent the geometric shapes sent to a 3D printer, STL, is an old format with limited capabilities. The format can only represent one colour shapes, and to represent complex shapes accurately, transfer files become very large and time consuming to process, both to write and to read. The format itself is prone to errors resulting in crashes and wasted raw material and time.
As a consequence, a whole industry has grown up to correct and verify correctness in STL files prior to sending them to 3D printers.Read more ›
After reading this book, you'll find it amazing that with physical chemistry, structural engineering, programming and electronics, you can make all your dreams come true.
Could you imagine being able to turn the elements into building blocks to use at your disposal?
If you are a student like me, who's looking for a field to apply his/her skills in, CHOOSE THIS ONE!
Accessible, interesting writing that's keeping this newbie reading.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Not what I expected, I soon got bored after the first three chapters, nothing in it dealing with making your own models.Published 16 months ago by Terence Le Cuirot
An excellent book, that is very insightful into the 3d printing process .Published 22 months ago by GAYLE
Hod Lipson has done a lot of pioneering work and speculated well on 3d printings potentials - great easy readPublished on 17 Feb. 2014 by Rob Stuart-smith
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > E-Commerce > Managers' Guides to Computing
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management
- Books > Computing & Internet > Hardware
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Skills & Design > Industrial Design
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Electronics & Telecommunications Engineering
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology