The product description for this case claims IPX8 certification to 100 feet. In mid winter in the mid Atlantic this is a tough environment to test, so I settled for the next best thing: 10 minutes in 4 inches of water in the kitchen sink.

I first tested this with some coins and Alka-Seltzer tablets. The coins were to provide weight, and the Alka-Seltzer was to provide rapid indication of water inside the case.

When the Alka-Seltzer emerged intact, I was confident enough to put an HTC EVO with an extended life battery in the case, weight it with a kitchen knife (residual air in the case provides enough buoyancy to float either the whole case or its top, depending on how much air you force out before closing).

No issues with water entry during 10 minutes of submerged testing. The phone's touch screen controls were fully operational when it was inside the case. Picture quality from inside the case was fine: this phone doesn't have superb resolution under the best of conditions, but there was no obvious degradation of quality.

I'm not sure why I would want to carry a phone with me while diving or snorkeling (and wouldn't want to use this phone's camera to document that environment anyway), and divers may have other preferences for their activities. But if you're headed to the beach, or an outdoor event with wet weather in the forecast, this might save your camera from the ultimate bad day...

Note: This item was provided at no cost for review purposes (and while the case was provided at no cost, the phone in the video was NOT!)
on 16 January 2016
Had this product for a duration of 3 weeks of sea, sun and general holiday-ing.
Best product I have ever bought.

Convinient neck strap allowed me to drop my phone in and take with me no matter where I was going. I would walk to the beach in my bikini and record the fish underwater in the sea.
I swam with it, I left it in sand and even rang my mam from sea laying on a lilo.
It was bashed by waves and survived my product testing first off using it in my sink at home.
Its in my draw waiting for my next holiday.

The clips are easy to use and make a great seal.
Avoid using it with oily hands as if any oil gets on the inside it ends up becoming very annoying pressing buttons accidentally all the time.

Aside from my own error- Had no trouble with the case or using my phone whilst in the pouch. Touchscreen still worked (lg g4 and a no go g2)
on 4 June 2015
It survived the waterfalls of ouzoud in morocco without being dropped and the salty seas of portugal. The picture quality isnt compromised at all and no you cant use the phone while its under water! Both of these pictures were taken on a ledge half hanging off the side of the cliff with the case on!
review image review image
on 3 April 2015
This was one of two different cases that we bought for a holiday and it did exactly what it claimed to do.

I must admit that I was nervous initially but I put my mobile in with a folded over dollar so I would have an indicator of the presence of water within the case. It was in continuous use every day for two weeks while we went to the beach, swimming, snorkelling and on the attractions at water parks. The case was immersed in water up to 1.5m deep for extended periods and never let us down.

The case is also clear enough that it had no discernible impact on the quality of photography using our mobile phones.
on 11 September 2015
After seeing the prices for iPhone 6 water proof cases I decided to go for this one which I can uses again and again, even if I change my mobile. The case is well recommended, having taken it on holiday to Jamacia I used it in the pool, sea and on a trip to Dunn falls, a 100 m climb up a water fall and it did not leak once. The pictures and Visio had no distortion and came out really well.
Well recommend for anyone who wants to keep their valuables dry.
on 11 September 2015
On the final day of the holiday I finally plucked up courage to use this in the sea with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 back then) and was very pleased with the pictures it took (see attached). Taking your phone with all your flight details, emails and holiday photos into the surf on New Years Day isn't something I thought I'd ever do, but it worked!

The touch-screen of the phone still worked, although as you'd expect it wasn't as responsive as the phone in your hand. Just prepare it before hand by changing the settings to stay on as long as it can and use the front / rear camera as pressing the power / home key button will necessarily be more fiddly.

I definitely recommend testing it at home first if like me, you have trust issues! I put some tissue paper inside it and left it in the sink for 30 minutes. Bone dry. I just wish I'd had the nerve to use it more as the pictures and video I got were great.
review image
on 7 April 2014
It is probably a safe guess that anyone who is on this product page is in the market for a waterproof case because:

1) Their phone was dropped into a liquid prior, and/or

2) They (and subsequently, their phone) are going to be in a location where it could get wet (again) and they want to play it safe.

In either scenario, the most important aspect of this product is, quite simply, whether the pouch is actually waterproof. The verdict? Yes, it is! The FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case will most definitely keep your electronic device dry and functional. Even better, the clear plastic front/back panels of the pouch allow you to operate the touch screen of your phone/mp3 player, so that you don't have to worry about taking it out of the bag with wet hands and risking damage that way! So, in summary:

Electronic Devices I Fit Into the FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case:

1) Samsung Galaxy S2 Phone (removed case, so just the phone, fit snug but not overly so).
2) iPod Touch 4th Gen

Touch screen Functionality While in the FRiEQ Case:

1) Samsung: great for calls and taking pictures; sometimes keystrokes are not detected and texting can be frustrating.
2) iPod: was excellent for selecting songs, setting the volume, and controlling play/pause; not ideal for apps/games.

Construction & Durability

This item is made of a black vinyl pouch with clear plastic front/back panels that allow for the operation of touch screen devices. At the top of the case is a black, hard plastic clip that seals the pouch. It has two clasps that flip open to open the neck of the pouch so that you can insert your device. To close, simply flip the two clasps closed (there is a bit of a pressure that you feel while doing this), and the case will become waterproof.

My only complaint about this is that the opening for the pouch is narrow and the seams for the edges are heat seams. While this means great waterproofing, it also means that if you open the FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case too fast and/or with too much force, it will split along the edges (if you want an idea of what this looks like, get a Ziploc sandwich baggie and open it too hard so that the sides come apart). As a consequence, you want to be careful while inserting/removing your phone from this case.

Overall

I love the facts that this case is able to accommodate either my cell phone or my iPod, is easy to use, comes with a lanyard to make it easier to carry (the pouch is a wee bit big to comfortably fit in a jean pocket), is actually WATERPROOF, and is pretty good with allowing me to use the touch screen on my device. Sadly, the one thing that keeps me from giving it a perfect score is my concern about the fragility of the neck. As long as you are careful, not trying to jam the device into the pouch, and not letting kids play with the FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case, then I heartily recommend this to anyone who anticipates being in a wet environment!

**Disclaimer: This product was sent to me by the manufacturer at no cost to review. While I do not feel that this influenced me in any capacity, I am legally obligated to disclose this fact so that you can come to your own conclusions about the merit of this analysis.**
on 5 February 2016
Bought this a few years ago but arrived just after i left on holiday which was a bit annoying, however since then i have had the chance to try it out and it works quite well. I used it on the beaches in Thailand and it kept all my valuables dry and safe. Wish i took it to the mountains with me as the last time i was up I destroyed a phone from the rain.
Good buy keep it nearby as you never know when it will come in useful.
on 10 September 2015
Fantastic product! I took it to carnival with me this year where I was part of a band that had paint and powder. Thanks to this clever case, my phone came away from it all in perfect condition! No powder or the water-based paint got near my phone. I love the fact that I could also still use the phone with unexpected ease and therefore take very memorable pictures/videos of the day :) I hadn't actually seen that many of these waterproof cases around before but at carnival every other person seemed to have one, so they are clearly very popular!!
on 6 June 2015
Used this a lot on beach holiday. Put your phone in and don't worry about water, sand, sun lotion, ice cream etc. can still use it fully and conveniently carry it round your neck. Would be tricky to use with headphones though. My only tip to users: make sure you put it in there absolutely clean. You cannot really get greasy fingerprints or dust or anything out of the inside of the case.