- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 2481 KB
- Print Length: 368 pages
- Publisher: Monday Books (22 Sept. 2010)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0044781D8
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 86 customer reviews
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
#30,332 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #5 in Kindle Store > Books > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Branches > Marines
- #10 in Kindle Store > Books > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Iraq War
- #13 in Kindle Store > Books > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Afghan War
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£7.99|
Save £6.00 (75%)
IN FOREIGN FIELDS: Heroes of Iraq and Afghanistan in their own words Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Another thing that will strike you is just how selfless and humble these recipients are. All of them exposed themselves to great danger so as to save the lives of their colleagues and friends, yet feel that this was nothing extraordinarily. Dan Collins has done a fantastic job of proving that the United kingdom still has the finest armed forces anywhere in the world.
Having an idea of what the guys go and went through makes it easy to
put myself in their place albeit in my head.
Can the non-military reader do the same, to a less extent, yes I think so.
At the very least the book helps to dispel the glamour that the adverts might
portray about life in the forces and gives you an idea of just what may happen should
you walk through the recruiting office doors.
These are actually average, disciplined soldiers who found themselves in not so average situations.
It is the discipline and team building that the forces taught them that pulled them through.
Proof that it works.
Each of the accounts here (not stories) is magnificent. Time and again it shows the best and worst aspects of war, because that's what these 'conflicts' are, whatever the politicians call them. Each episode shows the tremendous camaraderie and incredible selfless bravery of the people concerned. What also come through is the huge professionalism of our forces in the face of incredible pressures.
I found the individual accounts both moving and shocking, both on the day and in their aftermath, injuries both mental and physical described. The aftershock is not talked about too much in the media, although things seem to be better than they were. This book gives a glimpse of that side too, although I fear it only scratches the surface.
The accounts are written in a genuine first hand style, with both humour and horror. You can almost hear the individuals talking, including phrases unique to where they were brought up. The accounts are probably 15-20 pages or so, so its easy to pick up and put down in that respect.
The book left me with a feeling of even deeper respect and gratitude to the people who serve in the armed forces on our behalf.
As far as my son goes, its his choice. After reading this, I don't have the right to stop him joining if that's what he wants. It doesn't seem fair to just hope some other parent will let their child fill the gap. I've no doubt he would have the greatest time of his life.. and maybe the very worst, just as the book shows time and again.
Most recent customer reviews
still reading this book but so a a excellent book and would recommendPublished 13 months ago by michael
Gut wrenching, tear jerking. We don't appreciate the half of what these men and women and their families have done for us. Humbling.Published 18 months ago by Ian W.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography
- Books > History > Military History > Afghan War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Afghan War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Iraq War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Branches > Marines
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military