- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Thailand's Beaches and Islands Flexibound – 1 Nov 2016
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
No other guide whets your appetite like this one (The Independent ) --This text refers to an alternate Flexibound edition.
About the Author
Experience the world with DK Travel.
DK Travel's highly visual guides show you what others only tell you, with easy-to-read maps, tips and tours to inform and enrich your trip.
Our travel writers report on what to see, eat, drink and do around the world, while the very best photographs and illustrations bring cities, regions and countries to life. We publish guides to more than 200 destinations around the world, from handy pocket-sized city guides to comprehensive country guides.
DK is the world's leading illustrated reference publisher, producing beautifully designed books for adults and children in over 120 countries.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
OVERVIEW: Effectively a guidebook for Southern Thailand. For many visitors to Thailand, this may be all they need.
The area covered by the guidebook is composed of:
1. Bangkok (46 pages);
2. Coastal Eastern Thailand (34 pp), i.e. the provinces of Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat;
3. Southern Thailand (the Thai part of the Isthmus of Kra) from the province of Phetchaburi southwards (158 pp).
This book is divided into the following sections:
- Introducing Thailand's Beaches and Islands – outlines of suggested tours, maps, introduction to wildlife, Thai culture and history (42 pages)
- Thailand's Beaches and Islands Area by Area (240 pp)
- Travellers' Needs, including recommendations for hotels and restaurants (44 pp)
- Survival Guide (18 pp)
- Index (good, but in small print) (20 pp).
This is more illustrated than conventional guidebooks such as Lonely Planet. With those guidebooks, when you arrive at a major sight, you may have to read or reread an essay of say five hundred words, and at the end may still be confused as to where exactly things are. DK's brilliant innovation is that instead they provide a labelled diagram, a bit like an aerial photograph, that orients you immediately and shows you where to go for the most interesting items. Of course this takes a lot of space so it's only done for major attractions like Bangkok's Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Pho and Jim Thomson's house.
Another DK innovation is the illustrated diagrams of sightseeing walks, which make it much easier to locate the places of interest, and much harder to get lost, than with other guidebooks. Unusually, this book only provides two such walks, Sanam Luang (north of the Grand Palace) and Phetchaburi.
Readers should be aware that the suggested tours in the Introduction often do not allow sufficient travel time, and therefore that the tours will generally take longer than advertised (as a rule of thumb, about one day per week) to do properly. Furthermore, for practical details such as how to get from A to B, some other source of information will be needed.
So, should this book be purchased, bearing in mind that Dorling Kindersley also produce a guidebook for the whole of Thailand, DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Thailand (Eyewitness Travel Guides)?
- If you are visiting only coastal Thailand (and maybe Bangkok), get this book only. This area, in the beaches and islands book, has twice the number of pages that it has in the main guidebook.
- If you are spending substantial time in both North and South Thailand, then get both books.
Most recent customer reviews