Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 October 2005
I bought this for my kids at school because we're studying volcanoes and I know that the Eyewitness series of books is quite good and very appealing to the age group I teach (10 year olds).
Unfortunately, this dvd isn't quite what I wanted. It does give information about different kinds of natural disaster: hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, volcano, avalanche, flood, lightning(?) but each segment is a little too brief to convey much information. If you want an overview of natural disasters, this would be ok but not if you wanted something more in-depth.
Also, sad to say, the clips that are used are outdated. The dvd is based on footage available in 1997 and since then, as we know, there has been an enormous (and well documented) tsunami as well as large earthquakes. The dvd has to make do with reconstructions using models and close up footage or ordinary waves.
There is a feature called 'Hotspots' which supposedly gives more information about an event whenever a little icon pops up in the corner. It did go into a little more detail but I found it a distraction to constantly interrupt the programme and there was nothing that could not have been included in the main show.
This is for those with a short attention span who can't cope with too much information.
on 4 July 2017