on 14 June 2013
I enjoyed this action packed adventure. It is very obvious Bob Mayer knows what he is talking about, the frailties of planning and how things dont always pan out in reality. Great action well worth a read
on 12 June 2011
Loved this book, saw it as a cheap addition to my iPad collection to take on my Easter break but couldn't wait to buy some of Bob Mayers books to see if they are as good. Originally saw it was the same author as the atlantis series of which I had read the first one.

I have now bought another book as well as the first book in the Area 51 series so I can only hope that they are as fast paced and compulsive to read as this was.

Liked the characters and the was they bonded although did think getting rid of most of Rileys A team was a bit extreme but still there always more people to write into a storey that way.

Possibly a bit linear in places but then this genre has been done to death but you do find yourself rooting for the heroes while cursing the idiots at the top.

All in all I enjoyed this and I am sure to be buying more books from this author in one or other of the series heq has written.
Synopsis: early 1990s, and a Colombian judge is shot by cocaine cartel killers on the streets of Washington D.C. - along with a group of high school kids nearby. The President opts for retaliation against the cartels within Colombia, and two Special Forces teams are sent on a series of missions. After a few successes, something goes wrong (can't tell you why without spoiling the plot) and creative thinking, as well as dogged determination, is all that can save the survivors.

The book is good on hardware, but it is also well-written, fast-paced, tense and believable. Some of the characters are a tad predictable (the bad politicians; the hardcore street fighter), but on the whole the personalities are well described, dialogue is good, and all of it is pretty convincing. I enjoyed the book in the same way I like the Amanda Garrett Navy thrillers; good pace, good tension, good story. The author served in the US infantry and Green Berets - and it shows. Good stuff.
on 9 February 2012
I read another of Bob Mayers books, Atlantis, and I found the writing good, but parts of the story didn't appeal.

Nevertheless, I gave another one a go, and I'm glad I did. The opening section of the book takes a while to get going (well after the opening action sequence), but once it does, then it's a great story all the way.

In essence, the story is of America sending special forces down to colombia to take on the drug cartels. Of course we have a number of twists and turns, but it really is a solid read, full of action, good characters, and some nasty villans.

Really worth giving a go.
on 12 November 2015
I think this book will appeal to members of the army and anyone with a particular
interest in weaponry. For me, as a lay person, I found the great details about the
military personnel, their functions and the weapons they used, boring. I skipped whole
paragraphs until I got back to the action.

Dave Riley, special forces, and his team are sent to Columbia with the secret permission
of the Columbian President to destroy some drug cartels. The team is being assisted by an
expert on Columbia and Kate, a CIA agent. One glaring mistake, in my eyes, was that, despite
the mission being top secret, they used a known alcoholic - a disaster waiting to happen.

Nothing changes in that those at the top and politicians tried to distance themselves from any
fallout! The action sequences were good, when I skimmed over the descriptions of the weapons.
I am sure more military inclined readers would give this 4 or 5 stars - it was just not for me.
on 19 July 2014
A load of rubbish. Even as a free read I would not bother. It started off fairly ok and for a free book thought I'd stick with it but the further I went the worse it got, it insulted my intelligence, it was poorly written, factually incorrect and totally and blatantly anti British. If you want to read a book which glorifies the IRA, talks of them as Freedom Fighters, then fine, but I didn't. It was crass and insulting in the extreme and showed a lack of knowledge of subject. Would not recommend.
on 30 November 2014
This book is sell written. The attention to details shows that the author has been in the armed forces or that he has done some pretty intense research. For me the most interesting parts were the actual action so at times I was a bit bored with the details. I would highly recommend this book to a person who is interested in reading about military action.
on 5 August 2016
Excellent piece of story telling. The writer makes you feel you are right there in the midst of the action. Although ficitional, the storyline is probably close to the reality of what goes on in the real world of fighting drug cartels.
on 1 September 2015
How men are sent to amend the mess left by politicians . The secrete world of highly qualified men and the work they do to keep the balance of the world free and just.
on 4 June 2015
This story written by Bob Mayer it is a very good story, it was the first time I have read one of this authors books, I have read better but I would read more.