on 30 April 2017
excellent
on 9 September 2011
I bought Exploring Science 8 to support my daughters learning because a change of schools part way through the year resulted in missing some sections where the schools studied topics at different times. This was the series of books used in the second school. The idea was to just have the book to refer to so she could be confident that she wasn't missing big sections of the curriculum. In fact we have made a particular time to sit down together and chat through the topics because they are so interesting and relevant to every day life. I did not look at any other books so can not compare, but there are plenty of pictures, diagrams, sections to read, questions to help you check your understanding. The science topics are grounded in every day life with references which are very up to date (published 2008) and it follows historical threads of scientific discovery and understanding to see how life has developed as a result. We hove found this book so interesting to share that I have also bought the Exploring Science 7 and 9. They are a tidy trio, each building on the knowledge of the previous one. My younger daughter is in year 5 and I have also started sharing the Exploring 7, 8 and 9 books in no particular order, as a picture prompts her to ask a question. We have not used the computer discs yet or needed answers from the web site (mentioned by a previous review)so still have this to explore.
I recommend these books to children in year 7, 8 and 9 to support the science curriculum in school and for a good basis from a parents point of view to get an idea of what is being taught these days. Often we have no idea what our children are taught so this has been great for us and enabled us to have a good starting point for general discussion too.
on 11 November 2013
The book and CD were bought as this supports the Year 9 science taught in my daughter's school. The book and CD are of a decent quality, but the CD does not really give any extra information - I was hoping for a lot of animations and video clips, but it actually just seems to replicate what is in the book. The topics jump around a lot, and seem a little light on real "science".
on 4 November 2012
Useful accompaniment to school books for KS3 science homework. Recommended by my brother-in-law (who's an ex Science Advisor for schools) and it lives up to his recommendation. My son likes the cartoon drawings and 'bitesize' articles which make it easy to dip in for whatever topic he's studying.
on 22 February 2013
will be able to explore topics learnt in class
augments scientific understanding
really helps in 'how science works'
explores topics with guided questions.
on 3 March 2014
Gran daughters work book for school wish they had clear books like this when I was at school. I'm enjoying the read too. Always learning.
on 13 February 2013
great book with CD so great learning visually this went to tanzania and the students loved it thank you m
on 21 October 2013
Ok. It is an accurate companion to 'science' as it is taught today ( hence two stars ); but what has happened to education is this country. This text only reinforces the notion that today's children have been dumbed down. Frightening. ( hence two stars)

It seems there is no longer chemistry physics biology.... just science. What claptrap .
on 6 February 2016
as described and in excellent condition . Thank you
on 5 March 2012
Child it was bought for not overly enthusiastic but does admit that it is helpful when doing homework. Arrived promptly and well-written.