- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 2103 KB
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004BLJA6O
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,651,027 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Exploring Iceland (Jane's Journeys) Kindle Edition
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
The title is a misnomer because she ventures no further than the environs of Reykjavik. Much of the first part recounts her experiences on the flight, which I suppose might have been quite funny had she been Bill Bryson.
We did discover that Icelandic tour coach drivers are much more considerate than any I have come across in this country (UK), because hers came and knocked on her bedroom door in order to wake her, then went off to pick up another tourist to give her time to dress. She blames her oversleeping on the guest house failing to call her. Maybe we are strange but we always have at least 3 devices to act as alarms as well as asking for a wake up call, because as she found it does not always come.
She does not seem to be particularly impressed by the countryside she saw, prefering to spend time in the museums and complaining of the little time that the schedule had left to see all the artifacts. She does comment that the countryside was green and kept drawing analogies to "How Green Was My Valley" even putting in a web link to the film for our edification. This comparison to a book about a Welsh mining district in the 19th century, where the title is used whimsically, rather than literally, might be appropriate after the eruptions!
The peppering of the text with web links might be useful if they were appropriate, but tended to be along the lines of "I met a couple from Canada" then gave where they were from with a link to that town! What has that to do with exploring Iceland?
I had expected a book about a complete tour of Iceland and got a long weekend in Reykjavik. I'm just glad I was not on her tour.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Science, Mathematics & Technology > Science
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Cultural History
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Europe > Iceland
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Maths
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Travel > Continental Europe > Iceland