Exploring Geographic Information Systems Paperback – 19 Jul 2001
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"a novel, yet coherent and complete picture of what is involved in the science and organization of this technology...a truly excellent distillation of the comprehensive nature of geographic information handling in computerized systems." (Society of Cartographers Bulletin, Vol.35, No.2)
"...a truly excellent distillation of the comprehensive nature of geographic information handling in computerized systems." (Society of Cartographers Bulletin, Vol.35, No.2)
From the Back Cover
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is the organized activity by which people:
- measure aspects of geographic phenomena and processes
- represent these measurements, usually in the form of a computer database, to emphasize spatial themes, entities, and relationships
- operate upon these representations to produce more measurements, and to discover new relationships by integrating disparate sources; and
- transform these representations to conform to other frameworks of entities and relationships.
These activities reflect the larger context, such as institutions and cultures, in which these people carry out their work. In turn, the GIS may influence these structures.
This text provides the comprehensive coverage you will need to master this powerful new technology.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Requires some familiarity with working with GIS.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences