Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2013
Exploring Arduino is a very well written book. I love the fact that the author goes into technical details of not only how to write a code (which is kind of expected) but also of operation of Arduino itself and all sensors you use throughout the book (i.e. Xbee). All instructions are clear and easy to follow and author encourages experimenting with the code after completion of each chapter. This is an excellent way of learning because right from the beginning you write, modify and combine code all by yourself. The code doesn't work so you're forced to analyse and correct your mistakes and by doing it you learn even more.

The book definitely lives up to the expectations after watching Jeremy's excellent series of Arduino video tutorials on Youtube.

Pros:
- level of technical detail of hardware (not to deep, not to shallow, just right)
- creative and practical projects
- clear instructions
- nice progression

Cons:
- still looking

This is my first ever review on Amazon but since this is a brand new release and doesn't have any other reviews yet I thought I'll go into the effort to let others know how good it is. Easy 5 stars.
on 2 April 2014
Look, I'm a physicist - not an electrical engineer - who dabbles in electronics. It's fun! And what better platform to use for programmable electronics than the Arduino (yes, the Raspberry Pi could also be used, but the learning curve there is certainly steeper as the Pi cannot control hardware as easily as the Arduino can). There are many good websites that describe projects for the Arduino: adafruit.com, instructables.com to name a couple. But if you want to go beyond those examples and really understand what's going on so you can design your own non-trivial projects...well, this is where this book comes in!

Blum has done a superb job presenting aspects of the Arduino in a comprehensive, fairly complete and accessible manner. Lots of bits and bobs of the material covered in this book is available online, but nowhere will you find this level of detail and coherence. The descriptions are very very clear and the projects are cool, entertaining and teach you a heck of a lot!

I have used other books on the Arduino before and always found them lacking. Yes, they had a number of projects described, but if you wanted to know why something was the way it was, well, you were out of luck. Blum's book has no such issues. He covers both basic and advanced topics clearly, always explaining how things work.

Blum covers advanced topics like serial communication, interrupts, data logging, wireless communication, communication via the ethernet, plotting data in real-time on websites and others clearly. I have already used this book to set up a number of projects involving these topics and I now feel like I actually *understand* what's going on! You can get information on many of these topics from the web, but I doubt you will really feel like it makes sense.

Get this as your reference to the Arduino and as your everyday project book. Combine this with the cool resources at adafruit.com and instructables.com and you are set to spend many a Saturday afternoon making stuff!
on 16 August 2014
Firstly, I partly bought the book in error which was a slip that can happen using kindle. I'm going to return.
However, there seems to be a lot of theory about Arduino and electronics which may be just what your looking for, but not me. I wanted to be filled with enthusiasm for the endless possibilities of the Arduino, with some mad examples to demonstrate these. I'm afraid i was more bogged down in theory that is available online for free now and can be understood with basic research. And the illustrations felt un-appealing to me as an engineer respecting the potential fun that can be had.

I'm willing to accept this maybe just what some body's after, a step by step walk through, my take is just an opinion it didn't work for me.
on 29 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Jeremy Blum is an electrical engineer with a large following on YouTube for his series of videos on building gadgets using the Arduino board. He has now distilled his knowledge into a 300+ page book, covering the basics of programming the Arduino, using the tools and interfacing to a lot of common devices.

The book sections cover sensors, a variety displays and actuators, and ultimately embrace wireless, writing to a memory card and sending data to the internet. Going beyond the basic "connecting LEDs to an Arduino" tutorial (of which there are already many), Blum takes time to explain some of the principles of electronics, and other key topics, like the computer representation of signals. He explains interfaces that will allow your Arduino to connect to other devices, including the serial interface, SPI and I2C. The latter interfaces are widely used in sensors, and understanding them allows you to interconnect multiple Arduinos (and also incidentally the Raspberry Pi). There is a lot of transferable knowledge in this book.

If you're thinking of building some kind of robot or other self-contained gadget that needs sophisticated on-board processing, then this book is an excellent starting point, and will guide you how to program and connect the various components you need. It's easy to follow and clearly describes how to test various hookups, and download or create the software that you need to drive them.
on 19 January 2015
This book really lives up to the other rave reviews. For an experienced embedded programmer it was perfect to zone me in on what is possible, and to the great free tools available in this wonderful Arduino community I've just discovered!

Great introductory texts too in an informatilve style without too much (unnecessary) detail - enough to get you going on simple or even quite complex projects e.g. Ethernet and WiFi connectivity.

It's commonly said about some really good instructional books, but I think I might agree - so, if you get one book on programming the Arduino, make it this one.
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While most Arduino books focus on providing a range of projects to build, this takes a different approach. It discusses some things that you could do with an Arduino, and focuses on how you do various things that will be required for implementing those. Rather than canned projects, you have details about reading a range of sensors, controlling motors (and controlling circuits requiring a higher voltage or current), serial communication, and how to work with a number of supporting chips (such as I2C for controlling displays and other devices with just a few wires, and XBee communication).
With this information you could implement a sensor with wired or wireless serial output, or a display box, or a robot that can be controlled via XBee - there's lots of potential projects. While this avoids outlining a lot of toy projects, if you do have an idea this book may well give you a fairly complete idea on what components will do what you need and how to use them, so for those with their own ideas, this is better.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I purchased an Arduino a couple of years ago, more out of curiosity than anything else. My background is in software development but the hardware side of things has always interested me. Apart from running through a few basic projects I never really did anything that interesting with the Arduino, so I was hoping Exploring Arduino would change that.

Exploring Arduino starts off nice and easy and introduces the reader to several new concepts in each chapter. The text of the book is written clearly and is very readable even as you progress on to the more complicated subjects further through the book.

The sample programs in the book are pretty clear and easy to follow, although anyone with a working knowledge of Java or any other modern programming language is not going to struggle with the software side of the Arduino.

My main gripe is that it would have been nice if the circuit and breadboard layout diagrams were clearer. Whilst it's not essential, I feel the breadboard diagrams would really have benefited from being in colour as it would make things a lot simpler to follow.

There is also a companion website to the book which lists the parts you'll need to build the projects. The site links through to a commercial website called Newark/element14 which sells the hardware you'll need in bundled kits. This is an American site though, so it's not much use for those of us in the UK.

Having already got an Arduino and a few bits and pieces I really just wanted to buy the additional components I'd need. I found it tricky to find the equivalent bits on UK websites, presumably because they are made by different manufacturers and have different part numbers. In the end I had most luck using the RS components website for this and the majority of the parts are not that expensive.

Overall, I would say Exploring Arduino is a good book for learning about the basics of the Arduino, electronics and software, but is let down by the quality of the diagrams. If you already know your way around the Arduino then I'd say this is not the book for you. There are plenty of books and websites dedicated to the Arduino, so it's worth looking around.
on 31 March 2014
This is so far the best of the auduino "how to do it" books. With this book, the downloadable example code, and a handful of easy to obtain electronic components, you will be writing and building your own projects in no time. The illustrations are clear and the reference material accessible and relevant. I thought I knew the arduino pretty well, this book showed me how wrong I was, and I am glad of it.
on 26 March 2015
Having started with arduino last year, I found the books I had then progressed very rapidly into areas I was not sure about. This book takes a simpler quieter route, and together with the on-line library of code and links makes my understanding much better. I am following all the chapters in order written as I can see each builds on the last and there is a purpose in the small builds along the way.
on 28 February 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I wasn't disappointed. It provides an excellent introduction to Arduino software and how to get things done such as interfacing LEDs, motors, sensors, data logging etc. The style is very readable and the content is backed up by video tutorials by Blum on the web and by lots of example code which can be easily customised to your needs.
The book is excellent value and I use it all the time.