- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 2014 KB
- Print Length: 404 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Woodbridge Press (31 Aug. 2016)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01LC0JZD4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 6 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #204,084 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£9.99|
Save £7.00 (70%)
Explorations: Through the Wormhole Kindle Edition
|Length: 404 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration. Add narration for a reduced price of £3.49 after you buy the Kindle book.
- Similar books to Explorations: Through the Wormhole
Kindle Daily Deals: Books from 99p
Sign-up to the Kindle Daily Deal email newsletter to discover daily deals from 99p.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Occasionally referencing each other but never feeling like a shared universe, the collection contains a fair few hits, several mediocre offerings and only one that is downright rubbish (I won’t shame the author, but suffice to say the world-building and characters are poor and the prose is about average for a schoolkid).
Part of the joy of story collections is finding the gems nestled amongst the rock, and there are a handful in here including one that shines bright. I will get to those later, to leave the review on a high.
The mediocre stories take up around 40% of the collection, and while they are still perfectly readable, they are unmemorable and could have done with a decent edit. Some are workmanlike, others end so abruptly you suspect they’re actually the start of a novel, more have the imagination but the prose and dialogue feel clunky and they suffer from cases of jarring info-dumps. One almost stand-out tale starts off promisingly as beautifully-worded hard SF but falls halfway through when it becomes trite fantasy.
Onto the better stories, not perfect but worth your time. Thaddeus White’s space pirate tale is a bit clichéd but written with enough verve and gusto to come across as a fun romp. Rosie Oliver’s time-travel saga is likewise a fun bit of fluff with wit, pace and clearly-defined characters. Despite a few bits of clunky writing, Richard Fox’s military sci-fi is exciting, action-packed and well thought-out. And Jacob Cooper’s disaster story is strong and set in an intriguing universe, though the dialogue is often too jokey to ring true.Read more ›
Beginning with "The Challenge" by Ralph Kern where the spaceship "Olympus" is diverted from its Mars mission to investigate a wormhole that suddenly appears near the moon, this particular wormhole is mentioned again and again during these stories, used as a jumping off point for other unique individual stories. But there are other wormholes, with names like "Khonsu", "Sagan Gateway", "Echo Two", "Echo 417", and "Victor-97" which are transited by bold crews aboard space ships like the "Ryukyu", "Lagos", "Frannie", and "Pioneer" in search of unknown vistas.Read more ›
I loved it. Simple as that. Short shots of imaginative sci-fi with an overarching idea and background. Wood bridge Press are really pulling out all the stops with their anthologies, with another in the works! If you like science fiction, you will love this.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is a personal comment based on my own tastes and does not allude to the quality of the writers involved. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Amazon Customer
Got an advanced copy from one of the authors and it is very good but as other people have said its a tad hit or miss. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Mark Watt
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Short Stories
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Time Travel
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Time Travel