on 13 December 2012
Emily Collins is 34 weeks pregnant when a medical condition puts her in the hospital. A stress free stay is what she needs, instead she finds out her husband has cheated on her, she lost a promotion at work, her sister is having money problems and to top it off the hospital that she is at is closing. But Emily is determine not to let any of these problems to get her down.
"Expecting Emily" is the first book and will most likely be the last by Clare Dowling that I will read. I just thought that there were so many stories going on, that the author did not focus on Emily's story. Other readers may like it, but "Expecting Emily" was not for me.
on 18 September 2015
thoroughly enjoyable read
on 13 June 2015
Took a long time to get into the book and was dragged out I did finish the book but it was quite hard work
on 3 July 2015
Easy read
on 2 August 2014
I have read two other books by this author but I enjoyed this one the least. The story was slow moving, no twists or surprises and therefore very predictable. The thing that annoyed me the most were the constant errors- calling the antenatal midwives "nurses", the christening robe a. "shawl" etc. I wanted a nice easy read, obviously I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, but this book was very disappointing.
on 12 July 2002
Expecting Emily offers no big surprises, dramatic cliff hangers or action scenes, but it does offer an honest, funny and often moving account of how one woman fights back after her life takes an unexpected turn.
Emily is 34 weeks pregnant when in the space of one day she finds out she has been passed over for partnership in the law firm she worked at for six years, that her husband has been having an affair with the violin player in his orchestra, and that her blood pressure is dangerously high, risking the life of her precious unborn child. Needless to say she has had better days!
Now stuck in a hospital that is due to close imminently with only couple of colourful pregnant woman and a dingy smoke filled visitors room to keep her amused, Emily has to decide whether to sink or swim.
The whole turn of events makes Emily realise how she has been tootling along nicely in her life without really proving herself to be a force to be reckoned with, and something snaps within her.
She suddenly becomes the centre of a campaign to save her local hospital, stands up to her hilariously funny, but neurotic, mother and has the partners at her law firm quaking in their boots.
She also deals with some ghosts of her own as she comes to term with a previous miscarriage and realises her reaction to this may have been what pushed her usually devoted husband into the arms of another woman.
The supporting characters are equally appealing and each have their own battles to win. Her best friend Neasa, finds that no matter how hard she tries she can't find a man to be happy with; a cross-dresser and Internet geek being among her previous lovers. Her sister Liz is struggling with five boisterous boys and a husband who would make Les Battersby look good, and her husband Connor deals with his own feelings as a failure for not becoming a famous composer.
The book never disolves into melancholy or self pity. It is a warm, inviting read and is ultimately uplifting. Well worth curling up on the sofa with!
on 11 April 2006
I've always been one of those to turn a scornful eye on chick lit, but having read a couple of Clare Dowling books, several Marian Keyes, and a handful of others, I'm starting to understand the genre and in the process, to change my mind. While there is a lot of dross around, there are some good writers in this area; in the better novels, behind the apparent triviality and cliches there is much well-wrought -- and surprisingly well-written -- social realism. That sounds condescending, which is a pity because I have a growing respect for the genre. "Expecting Emily" is a portrait of a woman taking a cold hard look at her life, her values, her own image of herself. There is no self pity, no victim mentality, but a realisation of her own responsibility for her own life and the decisions she takes. Dowling looks at ordinary women, in ordinary situations, with respect and affection. And in the process turns the reader's scorn to empathy. In a world where feminism seems to be taking a nose-dive, chick lit like this revives and reinvigorates it.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2009
Ok, first of all I must start by saying I only read this book, because I loved her other book, 'My Fabulous Divorce'. I'm only 20, so haven't got children yet. I found this book mind numbingly boring. I must admit I didn't finish it.
The book begins and we're told about Emily waiting for a maternity appointment.Then all of a sudden, we are at her work (she's not there) and confronted with a couple having sex in the her office -
'Gary was lolling in Emily's swivel chair. He had his penis out.
"Oh goody," Nessa sighed, locking the door, hitching up her skirt and leaping on him.' It was just too cheesy!
Also, I just felt there wasn't enough time given to events, before we were on something else. Her sister Liz was beyond pathetic too.
Not one I'll be recommending anytime soon x
on 2 August 2004
Emily is already heavily pregnant at 7 months. She is always rushed off her feet at the lawyer's firm where she works. Unsurprisingly, she is admitted to hospital with high blood pressure, protein in the urine, and swollen ankles.
In hospital she meets other pregnant women, who all in my opinion are very annoying. Somehow (and I can't quite work this one out) they begin to save the hospital that they are staying at. Also, Emily realises that her quiet, dull husband, Conor is not being quite as faithful as she might have hoped...
I couldn't really identify with any of the characters, as I felt they were whiny and unemotional. Like the title of the review suggests, I found 2 thirds of the book boring. The only reason I carried on reading was to find out about Emily's baby.
The only redeeming quality of this book was at the end it was realistic. It didn't say that everything was going to be alright, and that the failing marriages were going to be saved.
Be warned: if you don't like mushy stuff about babies, steer well clear!
on 3 July 2010
I've been disappointed by Clare's other books but I liked this one. A lot.
The ending was a bit so-so though...