on 4 October 2017
Good enough condition. Arrived on time
on 18 August 1999
Thank you, thank you, thank you Martha Beck for this marvelous tale of your journey. I have been spinning my wheels agonizing over admission to the graduate school of my dreams and postponing motherhood for the sake of academic pursuits. Martha's book spoke to me on so many levels, but the most inspirational message is that of finding one's calling. She reminded me that my worth can not be measured by a pedigree or climbing a corporate ladder. My value is intrinsic and I already possess the key to my serenity and peace. As a dear friend recently reminded me, "The things you're looking for are right under your nose. Don't miss out on your blessing because it isn't packaged the way you expect." Martha reminded me of this once again. Allow her story to speak to you!
on 11 February 2006
This is my all-time favourite book! I have read and reread it and never become tired of it. I love everything about it; especially the fact that it forces one to look at what appears to be a disasterous situation - the birth of a baby with Down's Syndrome into a family of almost fanatical intellectuals - with a completely new perspective. It validates the cliche that "everything happens for the best"...even though it might take some of us a very long time to realise how we have benefited from some of the more traumatic experiences in our own lives. The miracle of this book is that the author has taken a subject which one imagines is going to spawn a very grim read and, instead, has managed to create an incredibly moving, warm and - yes! - very funny book. A great triumph!
on 6 September 1999
I have a daughter with a very severe genetic syndrome which is why I bought this book. I have read several books in the disablitly genre and therefore believed this book would be very predictible. Boy was I wrong!
Little did I know that Martha Beck would speak directly to my heart and make me realize that life is too short to persue goals for the sake of achieving the goal. Rather, we must listen to our hearts and sometimes be willing to take risks. Thank you Martha Beck...with your guidance I was able to take action and free myself from a completely unrewarding career.
on 26 April 1999
I love this book. I got it because I am considering a special needs adoption and I came across it by accident. Buying this book was not a mistake -- it's one of the most wonderful stories. Martha Beck renders such a magnificent portrayal of what mothers go through when something is wrong with their kid in an area that other kids are considered "normal." Also, it is a spiritual journey and one that will make you think again about how you view reality. I couldn't put this book down and had to keep reading. Not just to find out how the story unfolded, but to see what would unfold in myself as I read. I recommend this book to all mothers, all parents. It is also pure inspiration for anyone coping with any kind of personal limitations, no matter what they are.
on 25 May 1999
I read like a fiend and must say this is one of the best books I've read in ages. This is not the the sad tale of a yuppie couple expecting a child with Down's. It is an honest, insightful and yes, even humorous, account of this strong and interesting woman's journey to the acceptance of her less-than-perfect baby. Anyone can appreciate Beck's dilemma as she decides not to terminate her pregnancy and faces the fallout from that decision. Beck takes us on a truly heartbreaking but wonderful journey as she faces the unknown. Written beautifully, told with painful honesty...I can't recommend this book highly enough. Be forewarned, however, Beck does dabble in the spiritual and mystical challenging the acceptance of even the most open-minded soul. I have recommended this book to all my friends and family. Those who have taken the plunge have loved it as well. If you don't read this book you are truly missing out on a tale which will warm your heart, make you laugh and cry out loud and cause you to examine your own beliefs and value system. Thank you, Martha Beck!
on 8 January 2012
This is an account of the experiences of a highly-educated and academically-successful couple expecting a child, prenatally diagnosed, with Down's syndrome in the eighties. The story is moving and engaging and the book is well-written. It is firmly placed in the eighties and both the reaction of the parents and the narrative are influenced by the beliefs of the Mormon church to which both the author and her husband belonged until mid nineties.

It is emphasized in the epilogue of the book that the story is true and as factual as possible. I found this difficult to believe, not because of the miracles (which really are more being in touch with one's self rather than unexplainable events), but rather because of what happened next in Martha Beck's life and how it all unravelled.

Overall, this is a good book, and I recommend it. Approach with caution as it feels a bit self-centred and high-brow, and quite unflattering to the academic life, academic standards and academics in top universities in general.
on 6 March 2011
Expecting Adam is a heart warming experience for the reader. It shows how courage and conviction will almost always triumph over adversity. Martha Beck's love for Adam and her pride in him motivated her to immortalise him in a book and I'm so glad she did. I would love to know more, as to how she and her husband coped with the (then) new and unusual addition to the family. It would, I'm sure make for another heartwarming read. Thoroughly recommended.
on 29 July 2009
I was kindly given this book as a gift and from the moment I started reading it I simply couldn't put it down. I don't have a child with Down's syndrome and only know someone in a very distant way who has this 'gift' but I think this book not only taught me about this disability it showed me a whole other way of looking at the world. Having been fortunate enough to attend one of Martha's talks she writes in the exact same way she talks - like the reader is a friend who she is narrating her wonderful tale to. Whatever you believe in - Angels, Spirit Guides, prayer, God, or none of that; this book is a wonderful and uplifting story that shows there is more to life than meets the eye - literally. I loved this book and defy anyone with a heart not to find it funny, sweet, moving and very inspiring
on 14 April 2001
Truly a book to gladden the soul. If you're facing difficulties in your life and you need the courage to continue then this is the book for you. The lessons to be learned from Adam are simple and inspiring - are we ready to listen? Written in an extremely accessible style with engaging honesty. You'll want to give this book to your closest friends!