Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind Hardcover – 23 Nov 1998
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
In the first edition, Evolutionary Psychology was the premier and original text for the burgeoning field of evolutionary psychology. The third edition, containing a major update involving nearly 400 new references, continues this legacy.
David Buss, one of the foremost researchers in the field, has thoroughly revised his already enormously successful text to provide an even more comprehensive overview of this dynamic field. Using cutting-edge research and an engaging writing style, the third edition of Evolutionary Psychology ensures that you will master the material presented.
Highlights of the Third Edition
- Expanded coverage of issues in clinical and psychopathology
- Expanded coverage of culture and learning
- New coverage of testosterone and human mating
- New coverage of work on parenting and kinship adaptations
- Expanded coverage of fMRI and other neuroscience findings
- New work on adaptations linked with ovulation
- New section on the evolution of intelligence
About the Author
David M. Buss received his Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkley in 1981. He began his career in academics at Harvard, later moving to the University of Michigan before accepting his current position as Professor of Psychology at the University of Texas. His primary research interests include human sexuality, mating strategies, conflict between the sexes, homicide, stalking, and sexual victimization. The author of more than 200 scientific articles and 6 books, Buss has won numerous awards including the American Psychological Association (APA) Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology (1988), the APA G. Stanley Hall Lectureship (1990), the APA Distinguished Scientist Lecturer Award (2001), and the Robert W. Hamilton Book Award (2000) for the first edition of Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind. He is also the editor of the first comprehensive Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology (2005, Wiley). He enjoys extensive cross-cultural research collaborations and lectures widely within the United States and abroad. -- Dieser Text bezieht sich auf eine vergriffene oder nicht verfügbare Ausgabe dieses Titels.
Top customer reviews
I admit I dismissed evolutionary psychology for a long time, arguing that we are no longer subject to darwinian evolution, but are subject to rapid cultural evolution. However, this book shows exactly why I was wrong, and how much we can learn from the sort of interesting questions that an evolutionary perspective inspires.
A nice antidote to the influence of behaviourism, which still seems to be present in sociology and feminist ideology. Just so long as we remember that not all behaviour is an adaptation.
Omly drawback may be the price fro some of us poverty stricken students
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Child & Developmental Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Schools of Thought > Evolutionary Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Social & Developmental Psychology > Child & Developmental
- Books > History > World History > Slavery
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Evolution
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Genetics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Genetics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Genetics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology