on 8 January 2008
I've been having some serious trouble with RSI at work and at home, and having had a new chair bought for me, moved to a better desk, started taking regular breaks, and performing exercises regularly, I was seeing some let-up, but not any real progress towards normality. I'd even visited specialist doctors who weren't offering me any useful advice.

I decided to research an alternative mouse and eventually asked my work to buy me this Evoluent mouse. It has been a revolution. The mouse has almost completely got rid of my problem, something I was beginning to think was impossible. I was initially apprehensive because of the price and because there isn't much written about it on the web anywhere, but this mouse is worth every penny. I'm currently toying with the idea of getting one for home. Would be nice if they released a wireless version though....
33 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2007
Having changed jobs and been given a laptop I found my old ergonomic mouse would not plug into the laptop! I quickly started to to get pain back again in my hand/arm and neck and was desperate for a solution. I read up on the subject and decide to buy this mouse as one of 3 to try (an expensive way to do things but as I couldn't find any to try in the shops and I was in pain, I wanted a quick solution). For info I use a MAC at home and a windows PC at work.

This is a very good looking mouse with a fantastic tactile non-slip rubberised mouse surface (which is a pleasure to hold and seems to aid grip). It requires you to hold your hand almost at right angles to the desk, like shaking hands. This stops you having to twist your arm round to hold your hand palm face down (which is what you have to do with a normal mouse). I plugged it straight into my MAC at home and it worked first time and was EXTREMELY comfortable. At work on my windows laptop it did not seem to work properly (the cursor would not move around the screen properly and was very slow and jerky) which I felt was perhaps down to me not downloading the software required. I didn't do this download the software because it was my mouse and I would have to explain to our IT dept why I wasn't using standard issue Company equipment!

More expensive than the Speed-link ergonomic mouse, which I also bought and is very similar, its design and feel is definitely more upmarket. It feels good to use and and works perfectly on my MAC (I've had it a couple weeks now). Best of all my pain has now gone. I recommend this product to anyone with a MAC and I'm sure with a bit more perseverance than I showed it would probably work just as well on a PC. NB because of its design it is taller than your average mouse (around 7.5cms). I only mention this as if you to use a slide out draw to position your mouse and keyboard you may not be able to close it with this mouse in it - I can't but that hasn't really bothered me at all, I'm too happy with it.

For info I also ordered the 3M Ergonomic mouse and did not get on well with it at all. Even just by holding it for a while just to get the feel of it (before trying to plug it in) my arm/shoulder/neck started hurting. I did not pursue trying to use it the other 2 mice I ordered felt so much better.
22 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2017
item received with many thanks
on 19 April 2017
Brilliant really helps with carpel tunnel
on 7 May 2010
Once you get used to it, it is a very good mouse as the position it puts your arm/wrist in feels quite natural. However, I found that after a few months of use, this position does create new pains, especially linked to the ring and little fingers that are somehow under more stress with the vertical mouse.

My advice would be not to ditch it completely, but rather alternate with a regular mouse.
on 12 July 2012
For the price I was very disappointed with the build quality of the mouse when first used, it has the same sort of cheap plastic feel as the sub £10 "bargain" conventional mice available. However, after getting used to it I was very pleased with the results achieved in helping solve the pain I was experiencing in my hand from a conventional mouse.

Unfortunately as the title suggests having been pleased with the device and used it daily for 2 months it has now stopped working! Windows reports a problem with the USB device when connecting and it simply refuses to work. It would seem that my initial impressions on the build quality were correct. From reading the other reviews it would also seem that I've got no chance of a refund on this but I'll be trying anyway.

Microsoft or Logitech - Please jump on board with this design and get something to market of comparable quality to the MX series et al. I'll be all over one of those at twice the price!

TLDR; Great design and a joy to use when it worked, which wasn't for very long! - avoid.
on 2 July 2009
I began looking into ergonomic mice after developing severe pains in my hand and wrist. I spend many hours a day at the desk as a CAD user and I had to find a way to ease the discomfort. After looking at a number of reviews I decided to give this one a try.

At first a struggled to get used to the different orientation and button layout and in the first couple of days I wondered if I had wasted the company's money. It's a very expensive device compared to a normal mouse (and I had to convince my boss this was a worthwhile purchase).

Well, by the end of the week I had got the hang of this new mouse. Now I would not be without it. Combined with taking regular short breaks and wrist/arm exercises I now find I can manage much longer days before the discomfort becomes a problem.

As a SolidWorks user I found the supplied drivers caused some of the Solidworks mouse button functions to be lost, which drove me mad until I tried the standard Windows mouse drivers. Now everything works as it should. I have had the same problem in the past with Logitech mouse drivers too, so I shan't knock any points off for this.

I have found the optical tracking to be accurate on most surfaces, so full marks here too.

I have not tried any other ergo mice so I cannot make comparisons. All I can say is that this one has made a huge difference for me.
I've been using one of these for a while now and I'd like to echo all the reviews that point out how excellent and effective it is at reducing the pain, tingling and numbness associated with RSI/Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I always had one gripe though, the buttons used for navigating backwards and forwards through, eg, web pages, are counter-intuitive by default. You can swap the functions using the Evoluent software, so that the thumb button is mapped to back and the pinky button mapped to forward.

However there are no drivers for 64bit Vista or Windows 7. If you check the Evoluent site you'll see they recommend a program called "X-Mouse Button Control" and I'm currently using it with great results on the W7 Release Candidate. Oh and it's free and really lightweight.
on 18 May 2010
***** update after 1 yr use.

Found a way around some of KVM issues by routing it is an external USB device 'not a mouse' seems the firmware on Evoluent does not map across if switched by KVM!

OK .. bad news on quality .......... after 1 year the paint finish is now peeling off badly.
What appears to be a nice matt plastic finish, is in fact just a coat of paint. It has now come away fully from the palm rest area .. and peeling off in big strips elsewhere.
Evoluent initially were not interested ... quote from Evoluent "warranty of paint is only 3 months form purchase"

However I pushed the point, and they agreed to send me a new mouse.
This is a good product in that it prevents wrist fatigue, but it does have it's quirks.

************************************

It is VERY particular over what it will work with. Found 3 issues.

The problem is that I use a KVM switch box .... i.e. 2 PC's sharing single mouse, monitor, keyboard.

It will not work with a KVM ...any standard mech or optical mouse works fine, this one won't.
Manufacturer response was simple - we don't work with KVM's or USB hubs, switches etc. so don't think you can share it.

Secondly even when plugged direct into laptop it was very unreliable, often no cursor on screen, or cursor would start moving horizontally on it's own.
manufacturer advised it will not work if any other mouse driver present ... I cannot remove built ion track pad driver as it's fundamental to laptop.

Thirdly ... it is susceptible to mouse mat type ... I had a mouse mat been using for years, and mouse was very erratic ... put it on a piece of plain white paper and all OK .... but have never come across a plain white mouse mat.
manufacturer advised that I should use it on plain white background.

All in all a product that is a nice idea but far too fussy and finicky or inter working.
on 18 June 2010
I have been a user of the earlier (v2) version of this mouse for over 18 months and have been very happy with it.

However, I am very disappointed with this new v3 as the mouse tracking is appalling. Although this mouse tracks to a higher DPI than previous versions and lets you adjust the sensitivity of the tracking it simply does not work well in practice.

On a shiny surface or normal desk it is particularly bad. On a pad or other surface it is better but not good enough.

The ergonomic position is excellent which is why I was a fan of the previous version. With this version the poor tracking means that you need to grip the mouse tighter and user more movements to get it do what you want it to do and this defeats the whole object of an ergonomic mouse.