on 13 June 2010
Thanks to a book win by my wife I came into possession of this book and,as a non football fan,and indeed not knowing anything about football,I approached this book with trepidation.However,from page 1 I was hooked.
This book is written in a way that is at once humerous and serious.The main points of the game are introduced simply and are funny enough to lodge in the mind.The whole thing is described in such a way as to be accessible to anyone.
The book starts with the very basics,and believe me I need them.It is definately a succinct and humerous guide to "the beautiful game".This book takes the reader through the whole gamut of football and,at the end,enables even the most football-phobic to understand what is going on.
For years I was bemused by the offside rule,and this book tells us that even referees have a certain amount of difficulty with it,but after reading this book I now am able to watch a game and shout"Offside" with total authority.
The only part I found hard to understand was the part in the chapter"The Tricky Bits" about formations(4-4-2,2-2-6 whatever he says).
That said it was the omly hard bit in an otherwise very enjoyable and very funny book.I look forward to reading the other titles in Iains series particularly his similarly titled book about cricket.
I would recomend this book to the football novice and also the "football widow".
As I write this review I already have two world cup matches under my belt with this book in hand and much shouting.Come on England