Format: Vinyl|Change

He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2014
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.
on 29 April 2014
This is such a wonderfully crafted album - really hard to pigeon hole. Elements are raw but always soulful, the melodies can almost be off key but just make it more emotive and the harmonies are just fantastic - for me it's up there with his best work. But a special mention has to go to The Heavy Seas - saw them perform it at the 6 Music festival and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
The album is touted as being autobiographical but I'm guessing that the songs resonate with lots of people (although that could just be my age!) - normal life under the microscope. Too many highlights to mention but for me Hollow Ponds brings back the smells and laziness of being a kid during the summer of 76 before having to lose that innocence to reality. Love it.
on 18 February 2015
I love this album - it's a real grower. The first couple of times I listened to it, I thought it was okay but nothing special but having had it on repeat in the car for a couple of weeks (:-)) I absolutely love it. Have always rated Damon Albarn - hugely talented bloke - & this is a really special album.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Damon Albarn, the frontman of Blur and Gorillaz is a god in the world of music, and his debut album, released last year has been long overdue and much anticipated. 'Everyday Roberts' did not disappoint me, and I think it's absolutely beautiful, not to mention addictive. I should point out straight away though that the music on here is nothing much like the material of his two big bands, this is almost a completely new sound for him, and a showcase of his abundance talents.

With honest, reflectful lyrics and a variety of instruments and production used, 'Everyday Roberts' is very pleasing on the ear. My personal favourite song is the quirky 'Mr. Tempo', a jolly little track that makes me feel warm each time I hear it and the one I find myself playing on repeat until I realise that it's now the seventh consecutive time, it should have been a big hit. The title track is stunning, like a Radiohead song with a robots theme, and 'Heavy Seas of Love' and 'Lonely Press Play' are equally wonderful slow-burners.

Damon Albarn is such a versatile talent and a very creative guy. If you are looking for a great album, I highly recommend that you buy your copy of 'Everyday Robots' today, and pre-order the upcoming Blur album which is out in April, music with Mr. Albarn really has always been something!

The deluxe edition is available here: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD], and that contains a bonus DVD, featuring the official promotional video of the title track 'Everyday Robots'.
on 4 July 2014
I'm not sure what so people have against this album. Yes it is melancholy in places, but it's also incredibly beautiful. It's also incredibly catchy too - I defy anyone not to sing along to the second part of 'You and Me' which IMO is one of his best songs in years!

If you like Blur, the Gorillaz, or indeed any of the other projects Damon has put his name to in recent years, and give this album a genuine chance, you will be rewarded with one of the best albums of the year, and one of Damon's best!
on 2 November 2015
I like this a lot, listen to it when I'm ironing and in the car (no, not at the same time). I'm not a die-hard fan but I do enjoy Damon Albarn's music and the lyrics are well crafted. There's a bit of filler but overall I enjoyed it and I'm pleased I bought it. It was worth paying extra for the DVD.
on 2 June 2014
Whilst not being a huge Blur fan I rather liked the first single so thought I would take a chance on the solo album. Not disappointed. It is excellent and gets better the more you listen to it. I can't recommend it highly enough
on 5 July 2014
I'm not a big Blur fan but I appreciate good music and it takes a little persuasion for me to purchase albums these days.
I found this a great honest album and I like the stripped back aspect of it.
on 16 August 2014
I called this review 'A wonderful journey into calm' because this album, much like Becks latest (which arrived alongside this one) is such a soothing album. Everything these days just seems so upsetting somehow. It's all shouting, screaming, rubbing your private parts on wreckingballs, selfies and instagram photos of some 6 year old holding up a decapitated head or simply some sodding car alarm going off outside your window for 3 hours on Sunday morning.

Along then came this wonderful album, which is clever, well written and perfomed and also so incredibly calm!

I absolutely adore it and I can't reccommend it enough.