Customer reviews

on 5 April 2017
Fascinating, entertaining and completely unhelpful! This is serious next-level stuff. But if like me you put in the hours to become so much better than averagely good, then this is also inspirational. Lots of insight... for when I get there. Great fun though
on 31 December 2015
Fascinating book giving a real insight into Gus's thinking. I'm not sure how applicable it would be in todays game but for any poker lover it is truly fascinating.
on 7 March 2017
In depth poker playing...
He makes it look so easy. Do yourself a favor. Don't read his moves and go out and start immediately playing any 2 cards as you'll lose loads!

You'll understand the methods to his "madness" proving that Gus is a very canny player indeed.

This is a great read, witty and informative. I found myself laughing out loud at some of gus's commentary at his own thought processes. Amazing to read exactly what his thinking whilst playing hands, almost puts you right there.
on 6 December 2012
Got this as a masterclass because guss is a bit of a legend but at times I felt like I was wading through treacle.
on 12 March 2011
I've read this over the last couple of days and Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed has proved to be a refreshing - if not educational - read. It's refreshing in that every other poker book you read is effectively a learning manual, whereas this is a blow-by-blow account of the Aussie Millions 2007 tournament where Hansen swept through the field of 747 players to win 1.5m Aus dollars.

Anyone who is anything more than the most casual poker player will probably enjoy it, but otherwise steer well clear, as in essence the book consists of Hansen talking through 300 hands. But it's insightful because we rarely ever get the chance to see this level of detail around a specific tournament and a famous pro who's effectively laying his game on the table. So if you're very much into your poker, then this is a very worthwhile read :)

Be warned, this isn't an instructional book, despite the taglines on the back cover which are a little misleading. I recall someone mentioning that their game has deterioriated since they tried to imitate Hansen's style. Do not try to imitate, and if you're a relative novice (like me) or a complete beginner (actually I fall into this latter category!) I wouldn't even consider playing half the hands that Hansen did in this tournament. The key thing that the book can never convey properly, is Hansen's sense of reading the players and the table. Aside from the fact that early in the tournament his opponents generally held bad cards (his words), his decisions were undoubtedly influenced by his read of the mood at the table, and how players were reacting to his moves and other pots. This simply can't be taught - at least not in this book, so you need to take his plays with a pinch of salt in relation to your own game.

That said, there is one thing I've taken away from this - stealing, if done at the right time, can pay high dividends and I will be putting this to the test more :)

A really good read anyway, and one thing's for sure - if I were playing against him I would have utterly no idea what he was holding! Kamikaze indeed.
on 22 July 2008
'Every Hand Revealed' is an absolute must-read for all poker players in my opinion ...

I have a vast poker library and this is now one of my favourites. Gus takes us on his journey through his victory at the Aussie Millions hand by hand with his thoughts behind each move, acknowledgement of alternative strategies and then his reasoning for choosing the path he does.

Each chapter represents a different day of the tournament and begins with Gus's thoughts on preparation, overall strategy for the day etc. Each chapter then ends with a recap.

While I think some hands could have been omitted, they do add to the overall feel of playing the tournament on Gus' shoulder and sometimes in reality you do just get "napkins" after "napkins". Gus' explanations for moves are delivered logically and while it's not a strategy many would adopt it is certainly food for thought for those who are prepared and willing to expand their outlook.

When Gus makes bad plays ... he tells us. When he makes good plays ... he tells us. When he steams ... he tells us. When he misreads his hand ... he tells us. He tells us everything and in a very charming, readable manner.

Gus is a great poker player, and now, it transpires a great writer. I can't wait to get his next one.
11 Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2008
This was a really enjoyable read for me. Gus goes through the 300+ hands that he played in winning some big tournament in Australia and explains his thinking hand by hand. A shame that he didn't mention all the hands he folded preflop - including these would have given a better picture of Gus' play, even if it would have made the book more boring in places

But I'd better tell you why I liked the book before I go any further. It reminded me a bit of reality television. I felt like I was sitting there watching Gus from behind the safety of a TV screen and waiting for the car crash to happen. It was also a bit like listening to Dark Side of the Moon in that it gave me a picture of what goes on inside the head of a barking loon

You see, Gus is a very different player to those that have read through Harrington, Moshman, Gordon et al. His starting requirements for betting are unbelievably loose, he has no respect for position at the table, he spits in the face of Sklansky's Gap Concept, he never folds his blinds,... Need I go on?

This is definitely more a book to read for entertainment than one to learn from, unless
- you need a bit more aggression in your game, or
- you're planning in playing tourmanents with big stacks, long blind levels and high antes relative to blinds, or
- you're Andrew "Gutshot" Chow from Bristol, in which case Gus Hansen is relatively sane and might be able to help tighten your game.
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2008
I credit this book with helping me win my first ever full field tournament. Gus has been called all sorts of things ranging from "crazy" to "brilliant" and i have to agree with the latter. His style of play may seem a little counter intuitive, but there is immense method to his madness. What some people don't realise is that in tournament play, luck plays a big factor. When your opponent doesn't have a hand, it will serve you extremely well to represent one yourself. Gus shows you how to recognise when these little situations occur and how to exploit them. I'm not advocating being as loose as a soho hooker, just saying that a little backbone will help immensely. Great book and no, i won't be lending it to anyone!!
on 1 July 2010
As a poker player and general poker enthusiast I am always keen to learn more on how the pros play. Reading this book is a cross between watching poker on TV and reading a strategy book. I'm not a massive reader of books, but I found that I couldn't put this one down. I like the way Gus talks through each of his hands and explains his options and decisions and also how he learns throughout the tournament and adapting his style of play from passive to being very aggressive at the right times. Knowing when to fold, rise and completely bluff.